Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Back in 5 days

I'm going biking.

And now, the rational. I have a dear friend who gave birth in Japan. She said that the Japan doctors were completely loony. They did want her to take prenatal vitamins, they would only allow her into the hospital if she agreed to an induction although it clearly wasn't necessary, they were shocked she wanted to keep the baby with her in her room ... but then she realized that they were completely sane about all sorts of other things that her American doctors had obsessed about. And they were really focused on things that Americans don't even think about, like her post-partum meals. And Japan has incredibly healthy babies and maternal health rates.

And so does the country I'm in. And if I want to take advantage of being here and 'go native' on this whole prenatal health issue, well, consensus says: biking is very healthy. And both of my parents and JD think it's fine to go. And the woman organizing the trip is well aware of my anxieties and has even promised that the whole group will stop for my mid-afternoon nap.

I wasn't planning to go. In fact, I had made a hostel reservation in Paris. But then I met the particular 7-year-old who will be our pace car (bike), and he's sweet and cute and very well-behaved, but ... he fell asleep under the dinner table at 8:15 pm. And I didn't even start to yawn until almost 9:15 pm. And I can turn around and take a train home easily on nights 1-3 (night 4 we're out on an island so I'd have to time my trip back with the ferry schedule). So I'm making a go of it. Plus, it will pass the time until my next scan on Wednesday. So wish me luck and hopefully I'll have gorgeous photos of the beach to post when I'm back on Monday night.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Sounds like a blast! Enjoy the biking! Be safe..can't wait to see beautiful picures!

Anonymous said...

Have fun! Post pictures! And be careful!! :)

Ms. J said...

Look forward to the pictures :o)

Newt said...

Oh, I'm glad you're going! It sounds heavenly--I hope you get clear weather and flat roads and have a wonderful time!

Pufferfish said...

The Americans are crazy! Go Biking! Enjoy! (and yes, I'm an American).

Ann said...

Wow--I have been away a long time. Congrats on your positive pee stick! I hope things continue to go well for you!