Monday, April 14, 2008

Indulge me just this once

I know that nobody in this community wants to read how awful 'the symptoms' are. You've been through worse, I know. But I'm worried because my body just feel apart today. And I'm thinking of ways to make this fun for my loyal readers (hi!). I even thought of a photo-journal of all the gorgeous street corners and canals where I was almost sick today as well as the alice-in-wonderland big green tiling in the claustrophibically small bathroom next to my office (sink measures about 1/2 the size of my laptop keyboard).

I was fine in the morning, not even all that late to work. And then, after lunch (my 2nd pasta in 2 days - I wonder if this could be the real culprit. The last time I had pasta was in a little cafe in Rouen in mid-January. It was whole wheat though) I just feel apart. Waves of nauseau/fever had me running to the bathroom. Non-stop diarrhea. Discharge. Exhaustion. And now, after a 2 hour nap from 6:30-8:30 pm I have a fever. I don't think it's high enough to worry about (I really, really hope it's not high enough to worry about because I have no thermometer or anything for it). I went in search of ginger ale at the supermarket. No luck. I went in search of tylenol. No luck.

And I came to a few little realizations. The follow things will make any symptoms I may have in the future just a little more inconvenient:
a. Having a roommate who I really don't want to talk to about this. He's an older British man. Beats me what he'd say.
b. Having a shared office. I put my head down for 2 minutes and got all sorts of glowers. I think it's because napping, like yawning, is highly contagious.
c. Having a single toilet on the floor where my office is, with a very public entrance (next to the coffee machine). The same on every floor in my building. Which means I ran down 3 flights of stairs and out of the building and across the street around 4 pm today.
d. Pay toilets. I hate, hate, hate them. And I do not have 75 cents every time I feel nauseous in the train or on my walk to work or the library. That's my treat money, and I will not spend it that way. I may occasionally have to pay to preserve my modesty when I really have to pee, but it's their problem if they won't let me into the sink area for free. Dear loyal foreign readers, I now explain why you will have to deal with me hunched over your street corners and train platforms. Deal.

All of this complaining is to say that I'm scared that this is starting to go downhill. And I really wish that it was next Monday and I'd had an ultrasound. Has anyone had one at 22dpo? Can you see anything? When do people usually find out if they're having twins? Could they at least check if it's ectopic?

Update: I might not have found any of the basics I need, but I did remember to buy my very favorite comfort food. Sugar water, but in frozen form. As only a survivor of severe gastrointestinal damage could crave. Rocket pops. They are quite simply the most enticing, delicious comfort food ever. And I have such fond memories of eating 4-8 per day while wandering around Europe in '02, having discharged myself 'AMA' and having no idea when I would be able to keep food down again. I can actually visualize eating popsicles on a street corner in Malaga. And Venice. And a gas station in Iceland. I'm am so incredibly glad I picked them up yesterday. And if I finish the box tonight, I'll just get more in the morning.

4 comments:

Gemini Girl said...

Hey Rachel- brooklynite myself. Congrats on the BFP!

I had the transfer done on April 27th, and by May 11th I knew I was pg. Once I had the ultrasound on May 25th (a month after transfer) I found out I was having twins. How high was your beta? My first beta was 270, so I guess that was some sort of indication.
Congrats. BTW, I think the fear of something being wrong is instilled in us because it took us so long to get where we are. Dont be worried. Just enjoy this time, bec it goes by way too quickly!

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon. So glad that you were at least able to locate the popsicles.

As far as the ultrasound goes, I think that they can see something at this point.

Rachel said...

Awww...I hope you feel better soon. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to see something on the ultrasound on Monday. I have my ER tomorrow so I'll pretty much just be sitting around waiting to read what you find out. I can't wait to hear!

For the record, I hate pay toilets even when I'm not sick!

Antigone said...

yum yum yum I LOVE rocket pops. I just bought a box a few days ago.

About the ultrasounds: 22 dpo? I've had vaginal ultrasounds at that point and they could locate the embryo (ruling out ectopic) and tell if there were more than one. But at the point it's so small there wouldn't even be a heatbeat - not for another week which is really the huge hurdle.

Good Luck!!

P.S. Your physician's equipment will have significant impact on your u/s. But even on inferior equipment, they can find the embryo(s) at 21 dpo.