Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tell me true

Am I totally crazy to consider a 4-day bike trip next week? It's the national holiday here so everything is closed and I can't do work. I had been considering indulging myself (I do this a lot) with a quick trip to Paris, but a friend asked if I wanted to join her family on a bike trip.

The details: 4 days, carrying small tents and sleeping bags, flat, 30 km per day.

Why I think it's doable: her 7-year old son is riding his own bike. I really ought to be able to keep up with a 7 year old, right?

The dangers: I think just getting overtired and rained own. But maybe you know better.

I am soliciting advice of any sort, so please tell me true if I'm in a lunatic.

4 comments:

Malky B. said...

I wouldn't do it. It sounds too strenuous for someone who's expecting. Maybe check with a doctor or your instructor at the gym.

Ms. J said...

Okay, I'll bite . . . YES, I think it's a bit loony. Sorry! I know how adventurous you are, but I'd error on the side of caution. This isn't some casual 20 minute ride, after all.

Just want you and baby to be healthy (hope you're not mad or disappointed).

Rachel said...

First trimester exhaustion should be hitting soon if it hasn't already; I would be concerned about the stamina factor.

I also think you should think about what you would do if anything went wrong while you were on the trip. What are the contingency plans if you cannot continue?

Considering the origins of May Day, I find it ironic how the primarily Catholic countries of Europe stop everything to celebrate it. Then again, who's going to argue with a day off?

Anonymous said...

Ummm...i wouldn't do it. Even if it's not that strenuous and you're used to it...what if you fell and got hurt? No...too many risk factors. Stay in bed and read fun pregnancy books and plan your nursery instead.