Monday, April 28, 2008

the perks of being abroad

I cannot tell you how much I enjoy the fact that JD has to make all of my doctors appointments and call with all of my silly questions since I'm abroad. I can call the U.S. but I can't select any options because I use internet calling, so I can't call any doctors offices.

Apparently he can't schedule my NST scan for me for the following (brilliant) reasons:

- Medical confidentiality. Um, he already has all the information he's providing them. They're not telling him anything. And he was pretty actively involved in the creation of this bump (we did not do an IUI) so I think he ought to remember when it took place and such.
- He doesn't have proof I'm p. This I think is hysterical. I'm not sure why my word would be better than his, or what type of weird, sick guy would call and try to schedule a NST for his fiance if she didn't need one.
- And then there's just the usual frustration because they want an initial visit before they schedule my NST, but of course, I don't have time for that because of my travels and the really short time frame for this scan. So they insist that they want my medical records from here. Good luck, dudes, trying to interpret these medical records. Even I needed a dictionary to get through them.

Part II:

I should not have picked up the phone and called (and waited for the operator to connect me and explain that I was not on a touchtone phone). It was not good for my blood pressure. Let me assure you that we will not be returning to this ob/gyn after the NST. Just because the staff is that dumb.

- They refused to take my social security number from JD because 'it's confidential.'
- The woman told me FIVE times that I have been scheduled for a 'missed menses' appointment (hysterical given that I don't bleed unless induced. ever.) and that they would need to confirm my status before they could even schedule me for an intake.
- When I responded that I would be happy to mail her my pee-sticks, or my foreign-language medical records of even a photocopy of my u/s photo, she didn't seem to think any of those would be as convincing as one good beta to get me on the real schedule. Guess I missed the boat there.
- She asked me THREE times whether I was really 'single'
- She then asked me whose name my insurance was under? And how I had a policy if I was single?
- She mentioned something about me not having a referral, and I assured her that for insurance reasons I had a referral. But my GP is in NYC. She said she couldn't enter a NYC doctor into the file, so she'd have to put no referral (???????)

In the end, I am happy to say I did not yell at her. And I have been 'penciled in' for an NST should my missed menses (?????) actually be something they need to scan. Thanks guys. But truly, this is not confidence-inspiring. I'm so glad I'll be back in NYC before some actually has to figure out how to get the cause of all my sleepiness out of me.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

Gotta love doctors!

Well, you better be more careful about what you wish, since you said you missed that good old American stress!

Ms. J said...

LOL, you have such a good sense of humor. I would go crazy from NOT having control.

Did you decide what to do about that bike trip? What about the last non-kid vacation before baby comes?

Barb said...

OMG!! Your office conversation was WAY worse then mine.
I don't get it........do people often call an OB and LIE about being pregnant? Enough so that they refuse to believe that women are actually pregnant?
I don't get it. I think it's rude though.

Glad your not planning on staying there! Ugh!

Ms. Perky said...

Hey just to clarify... what do you mean by NSTs? I think you my mean the Nuchal Translucency (NT). NST usually means Non-Stress Test which is something you do (or, rather, hopefully avoid having to do) much later in a pregnancy).

Also, belated congrats. I've been absent from your blog for a while!

I had a real problem convincing several doctors and the hospital I delivered in what my due date was because there was a discrepancy between the start of my so-called menses and the date of ovulation for calculating due date. I *knew* what day I ovulated, for crying out loud, so I *knew* exactly how far along I was. Still, the NICU never did figure out that I delivered the triplets at 33 weeks, not more like 34, which is what they had listed in their paperwork, which caused a lot of insurance snafus. UGH.