I may just be an idiot, but I can seem to find any pee-sticks in my regular pharmacy. This is a country that observes pretty strictly the distinction between drug store (ie. toothpaste and tampons) and pharmacy (ie. pharmacist) and I actually haven't found one of the later in my new neighborhood or even the city I am working in this week. That's tomorrows mission. Or maybe Thursday. Definitely pre-shabbos.
Funny, huh?
In other travel news, it turns out that my apartment is in an office park of sorts. It's fabulously close to the train (about a block and a half) and has a great view but ... no groceries. At all. So today I lugged my groceries from the next city over after a long day at work and a reception. And my shoulders are killing me.
Oh, and still debating how to get my follistim for next time over here. JD wants to mail it; I caved and agreed that if the phone-in pharmacy we use approves than I will risk it.
And speaking of next cycle and complete and utter irresponsibility (if you are my doctor, I deny this entirely): I was honestly thinking of skipping the baseline u/s I'm supposed to have done here. I do have several legitimate reasons:
a. I had one done last time and I found out 2 weeks later that it was never entered into the chart, so clearly the doctor wasn't exactly waiting with baited breath to read it. Nor did he even ask whether I'd had it done.
b. The internets suggest that many, many women are not having this done. I've even read of doctors 'gasp' just sending people home with femara like they do with clomid
c. In my life cysts are like strep throat. I never, ever, ever get it but I've had probably close to 300 throat cultures done in my life. I have never had a cyst that was large enough to delay a cycle (I know this, I had the joy of u/s every 3 mos all the way through college ...)
d. This is a country with completely socialized health care. The wait is longer than my total stay for an u/s and I will definitely have to pay out of pocket. Also, they have a very complex referral system and I will need at least 2 appointments to get an u/s. And then I'd have to translate it for my doctor anyway, so he'd just be taking my word.
e. Finally, my doctor wants to see me before I start injections. So he'll have plenty of time to intervene if something dreadful is wrong on my insides.
I'm not fully decided yet, but that's how I'm leaning.
Yes, in the abstract I understand why filling this 2ww with thoughts of the next cycle might not be the healthiest, but I am very much of the philosophy that I should go for whatever makes me feel better at this point. And this seems less unhealthy than chocolate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm not trying to set a record for most comments but I may be able to offer some insight on this one.
European doctors do not do as many ultrasounds and/or order has much bloodwork as US doctors. Bless his heart, I've questioned my RE about this tirelessly. He relented to pacify me but he doesn't think it's necessary. If he did require it, it would only mean extra money for him because my insurance pays well over what the German insurance pays him. When I went for the consultation with the IVF RE, I asked him about the differences between REs in the US vs. Europe and he very diplomatically told me he thinks medicine in the US is more profit-driven. He did a fellowship in the US and often does lectures there so he does have first hand knowledge. It's simply a difference in philosophies and I don't think either is right or wrong. All that is to say, if I were you, I would not stress about missing a baseline.
Hi Rachel - Thanks for your comment. The bottom line certainly drives a lot of American IF treatments. I found it particularly amusing that my RE assured me that his clinic allows an u/s every week during the 1st trimester, which makes so much sense when you think that every insurance in the U.S. covers ultrasounds during pregnancy if you label the woman 'high risk.' It's just oodles of money for them, and not like they can do anything at that point if anything goes wrong.
Thanks for coming by and visiting my blog! My you do have yourself one heck of a schedule. It sounds like your have a boundless amount of energy and optimism combined with brains, so I wish you all the best on your journey!
Post a Comment