Saturday, March 29, 2008

Not so naughty

I wish that I could update you with a scintillating report of our wild "BD" weekend. After all, we paid $350 just to be in the same state during this special time. And this cycle has already gone a full week longer than expected so we've had plenty of time to prepare. But 2 little things are getting in the way: the fact that I can only sit perched on my right butt check because the left one is too painful from the trigger shot, oh, and the fact that my ovaries are super-swollen and painful.

I don't understand why the HCG trigger shot hurts so much. I couldn't find a friend to do it for me (since JD was still a thousand miles away at 9 am on Friday morning) so I went by student health and had a professional do it (to be precise, I dashed during a 10 minute break in a very important meeting). And she did it in my butt (by my own request) so I wouldn't have to watch. And it should be just like any other intramuscular shot, but it hurts. A lot.

As for the ovaries, they are definitely swollen (as shown at my dress fitting today) and hurt. I'm drinking a lot of water, and otherwise obsessing. Nurse Evil told me she's only ever seen a handful of cases of OHSS that needed to be treated in the ER (obviously, many more women got pain relief there, but they apparently weren't 'critical') but then my sister flippantly told me that having the fluid tapped off your ovaries isn't nearly as painful as some other procedures ...

Today we had lunch with JD's parents. And apparently he told them about our medical adventures. I gathered this knowledge from noting the gap between the discussion of career plans and Obama's economic policy. And I checked with JD later. But the conversation was 100% not in English (or any language I comprehend) and I was not asked about any details. So they know, I have no idea what they think about it, and it looks like it'll stay that way for a while. And I didn't even overeat that much at lunch from the stress.

Of course, I had my shock of the week on Friday morning. Ran into a friend I don't see that often and 2 other friends were checking on how my appointments on Thursday and Friday went (people can be so nice - even when they're clueless) and my friend asked how I was holding up. I told her the news was up from last time I saw her, and, without waiting a beat, she told me she was pg. It was clear she wanted to talk about it. But then she immediately backtracked and asked if it was too awkward for me. Turns out this was a big "oops" (#3 at that) and she's feeling a bit overwhelmed with figuring it all out. I sympathize in some ways since I spend a great deal of time controlling the different elements of my life and I always wanted to be one of those women who did things like plan their baby to arrive during spring break, or thought about the ideal time in their partner's work schedule. And I tried to do that a little bit in the beginning of our IF treatments, but then I realized because of our career choices we have so few cycles left before we starting turning 30, 35, those terrifying cut-offs when you can't do shared cycles or you have to run more tests, that we'll have to take whatever we get in terms of scheduling. So I tried to be sympathetic, but a large part of me was still in shock that here we were talking about a 7 week fetus the day after her 1st u/s (!!!) and she was still doubting her decision not to abor.t.

And JD told me about another close friend's pregnancy in the evening. But that one at least was fully expected and JD broke the news to me before the gossip mills got to it. But that's one more pregnant woman who will be at my wedding.

1 comment:

Dr. Grumbles said...

Sorry this cycle is less than romantic for you.

And, about the friend sharing about her pregnancy... well, that had to sting. Big time.