Thursday, March 27, 2008

Going well

The news is all-around good. I have 3 mature follicles (and 27 that are rapidly catching up ...) so we're triggering in the morning. Which I found out by stealing a glance at my chart since Nurse Poker Face wouldn't even let me see the screen today. So much for the cheaper u/s. Plane tickets were purchased, and all's in order.

In other news, they apparently don't cover IF-awareness in dental school. I had a dentist appointment today (after my 6-something flight, a few meetings, an u/s, the usual). I go to a really expensive, fancy, reliable dentist once a year. And 6 months after that visit I go to a super-sketchy cheap place for a cleaning. The thing is that the, um, 'less reputable' dentist wants to do an x-ray every time I'm there. Totally unnecessary (in my opinion, not even in consultation with Drs. Google) to have an x-ray every 6 months, but when I decline they always get rather belligerent and have in the past refused to finish my cleaning (Another aside: I find this particularly absurd since I have never in my life had a cavity or any dental problems at all.).

Well, I thought, at least today I'll have an excuse. And during my lengthy repose in the waiting room I crafted what I thought was a clever response. When the dentist asked about an x-ray I calmly responded:
"The doctor at my IF clinic doesn't want me to have an x-ray."
"Oh, you're pregnant!" she squealed and then congratulated me very loudly for several minutes. Um ... I was basically speechless. She then gave me a long lecture on how some women's gums change during pregnancy and they really need the dentist visit. She told me about 5 times that I must follow up in 6 months in case my gums are 'changing.' Maybe they will someday. Maybe even in 6 months, but my, that was not the response I was looking for.

I'm off to inject my tummy. This is the first time I've done it without JD's help. We had a great system: he prepped the needle, I waltzed into the room and injected myself and waltzed out, while he did all the clean-up. I wish he was here tonight.

No comments: