Tuesday, March 4, 2008

All of this obsessing may go nowhere for now

I waited until the baby and the toddler were off to daycare to call the clinic I'm interested in. The brief summary:

- They don't take insurance, but you may be able to file out-of-network claims.
- You have to do lab work in their lab
- The wait for a consult is only 4-6 weeks, and another 1-2 months before you can start a cycle
- You have to redo all your bloodwork (argh - please no more sets of 3 24-hour urine tests)
- The initial consult is $500
- They don't have help with financing

But, they do have the highest success rates in the area and they are truly and exclusively an IVF clinic. Their webpage doesn't even have any information on non-IVF procedures. And, humorously, they don't even separate out my age bracket. Most statistics have 20-30, then 30-35, then 35-38, 39-40, 41-42 and such. This one has under 35 and above. Then of course there is the question whether I, who has yet to be diagnosed with any truly devastating conditions, need the super-advanced clinic, unlike my sister.

I know I'm jumping the gun, but given our absurd schedules I feel better knowing what we're getting into. And maybe I'll fly up to NYC this summer and have a consult so we can do a cycle in September, if I want. And at least now I can have a serious conversation with JD about different insurance options. Or maybe JD will convince me to be more patient. Or maybe I'll at least get to a 2ww before this summer.

1 comment:

Io said...

Yikes. The super clinic sounds intimidating. I guess it's good to know ahead of time what the drawbacks are though.