Friday, March 21, 2008

Decided

We will stay at our current clinic for another 3 cycles. But not for IVF. Which, as JD pointed out, means I have to stop complaining about it. I just called and priced 2 other clinics in NYC and it turns out that our current clinic is charging us less than half the cost of the NYC clinics I'm considering (including the one where I got a 2nd consult). I don't love this place and I'm a bit worried about the lack of monitoring, but I don't think it's worth an extra $1500 per cycle to get some bloodwork and a few more u/s done. It also means that we may go straight to IVF in September for financial reasons (if clomid is going to cost us $2500 per cycle, that's 1/4 of IVF which has a much higher success rate and lower risks for us). This decision comes after I told JD that I don't think he should look for a new job solely to get IF health insurance coverage. I'd just feel too guilty if he gave up working at a place he loves to cover my treatment, especially if something works between now and when he starts his new job or if it only takes a few cycles to get pg.

Oddly enough we had a long conversation about adoption yesterday night. We're still not on the same page (I'm excited about it, he has reservations about things I would never even worry about) but he certainly isn't opposed. And in part these are issues I've thought about a lot (open adoption, the ethical issues surrounding international adoption, race) and he hasn't yet had to process.

No comments: