Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Friends, part 1

I'm in the library trying to get work done. But I realized that there is something that I needed to do on campus (a little over a 1000 miles away) this week and completely forgot to do. So I just picked up the phone and called one of my friends and asked him to take care of it. Just like that. He knows why I'm down here and he has been running a million little errands for me over the past 4 months. I have some really great friends.

We have been telling more and more of our friends about IF. I know that this may backfire should something go wrong and we want a little space, but at the moment it's been great (and not like we've even reached a 2ww yet). I've only had a few really hurtful comments (You know, the ones like 'Don't you think this is a message you shouldn't have kids?' But anyway ...). I just realized that my friends couldn't be supportive unless I clued them in to what we were going through. And some of them have been really great. The friend I stayed with on Sunday and Monday night is in med school and phenomenal about explaining medical jargon to me. Another friend who we saw over the weekend is also a med student and she gave me her thoughts on different clinics.

This particular friend who is running my errands today kind-of blew me away because he was so nice about it. See, he's in his early 30's, still single, and from a very conservative Asian culture where I had imagined that girls don't really talk to male friends about their reproductive issues. Then I just chalked his being so nice up to being a great guy. Although I have to admit that I was still shocked that he was unfazed to talk about s.ex with me. It's not something I could imagine him talking about in any other context. And then last week he casually mentioned that his SIL might need a little help getting pg. Which only goes to show that you can't know what other people are dealing with unless you are open about your own life.

No comments: