Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The drawbacks of obsessiveness

I just called clinic #2. A few perks:

- They actually take insurance, a lot of them
- Oh, oh, oh - they take part in NY State's grant for IVF program*
- They're only 20 minutes from school
- I've been followed by RE there for years, although she's in endocrine, not IF
- They will bill an appointment for PCOs "as long as we don't talk about IF at all"
- Unlike their RE who has a 6 month waiting period, I can be seen next week ...

Well, you know that moment I heard that, I leapt on it. What I would really like at this point, to make me feel better (since ice cream, chocolate, hot chocolate, sprinkles, applesauce, even toast and the like are all out) is a 2nd consult on corti.sol. What I'm getting is officially a consult on PCOs. I'm hoping they interpret this liberally. And who knows, the gatekeeper receptionists often have different ideas than the actual doctors, who couldn't care less about billing. But basically either way I'll get a consult on whether I need to worry about my cor.tisol and how it might interact with PCOs. And if I'm lucky I'll get a feeling whether I like this clinic. So next Tuesday I'm off to another doctor! Of course, I have a baseline on Thursday and I still have to get a referral for that. And I'll be well into my little stash of drugs by Thursday, but who's telling?

And now there is no longer any legitimate excuse to avoid the very sad state of my shower. It's just so pitiful to spend a half hour scrubbing the mildew and polishing the faucets (yes, I find cleaning relaxing but I only do it when inspired so don't expect to be overwhelmed should you ever see our apartment) only to wake up to a pile of dead roaches in the tub. I honestly considered avoiding the shower entirely today, but JD reminded me that that just isn't a very 'grown-up approach to the issue.'

* which I completely and totally don't understand. You have to be a patient, initial consult $440, and have done ovulation induction, before you're eligible, so who exactly is it helping out? Only the people who had a nice little nest egg of $5000 for early appointments but can't cover IVF? Seems like an odd population to target, by which I mean I wish it covered all IF treatments. And honestly, JD and I aren't exactly the most needy patients in the grand scheme of things, but still.

1 comment:

Io said...

Whoo! This one sounds muy promising!