Friday, March 14, 2008

the awful diet, part ?

Well, I almost fainted mid-afternoon today. I had 2 hard-boiled eggs and a tbsp of low-carb peanut butter for breakfast. And then I planned to run by the kosher shwarma place for lunch with my friend's kid in tow. Because yesterday I had a salad and yogurt (11g carbs) and I was super-sick to my stomach, which can be challenge with an inquisitive kid in tow. But sometimes the best laid plans fail. The schwarma place was closed. And there I was, mid-Manhattan with a stroller and about 10 minutes to spare before picking up my friend's older child, and nothing to eat. No hard boiled eggs, no peanuts, even no pr.ia bars (I know, they have carbs). And no salad bar in sight. And really, that's all I can eat out because of the diet and keeping kosher.

I know that the doctor is thrilled about my weight loss (I'm a bit more ambivalent), but this is the time of month when I really need to stick to the diet and I also really need to eat. So that's the challenge for the weekend - eat. I'm just so uninspired to cook meat, but apparently that's what I'll be doing tomorrow night.

If you have any clever thoughts on easy to carry snacks, please post them! At the moment I cannot eat any of the following: flour, sugar, potatoes, salmon or tuna (but I will eat other fish), soy products, fruit except berries. I'm trying to restrict my carbs but will eat small amounts of beans, for example. This week I've been living on eggs, low carb peanut butter, gefilte fish, brussel spouts, avocado, tomato, asparagus, lettuce, and hot dogs. Sounds enticing, doesn't it?

I'm off to shul, and JD might be here by the time I get back. Have a restful evening.

2 comments:

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

My doc reminded me that taking care of plummeting blood sugar is sometimes more important than what I'm eating. For example, chicken soup isn't so bad if you avoid the noodles or other carbs. May not work for your special needs, but good to keep in mind.

When I was hardcore on my low carb diet, I carried a small lunch bag. I carried some steamed veggies that I don't mind cold--green beans, asparagus, broccoli--in baggies. I started carrying some raw almonds (with a few raisins thrown in) in an Altoids tin in my purse to stave off hunger.

Another idea: What about some toasted garbanzo beans?

Preheat oven to 375, season the drained beans with oil and seasoning (garlic powder, salt, black pepper, chili, cinnamon, whatever). Toast beans for 50 minutes or so, tossing every 15 minutes.
Some carbs, but lots of fiber and a lot fewer calories than regular nuts..

Anonymous said...

When I go low-carbing, I more or less live on almonds. Can you eat chicken? Grilled chicken slices pre-wrapped in lettuce leaves - the cooked chicken keeps for several days in the refridgerator.

The diet sounds so freaking hard. You're a brave woman.