Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sometimes the world revolves around my ovaries

So there was no four hour layover. The East Coast had some 'weather' over the past few days and it botched a large number of flights. I arrived in plenty of time for my flight (this is not always the case) and checked in, only to discover it was rather delayed. Not so much delayed that I would miss my 7 pm connection, by any means. But as a frequent flier, I usually go try to make a back-up plan for my travels when there are lots of delays. Well turns out due to a certain very large sporting event near JD (rednecks and cars) there was not a single open seat on a flight if I missed my connection. So I went to the gate and tried to get on the earlier flight to my layover, only to discover it was full and even the stand-by list was full. So I went back to the 'special services' area and explained to the woman that I absolutely have to be in by 8 am tomorrow morning. And she told me that my original flight was a mechanical error and the plane hadn't left its original destination, so even though the delay wasn't so bad, I shouldn't count on that plane. At that point I really started to worry. She very nicely asked what I needed to be in by 8 am for, and although I really wanted to shout "I might be ovulating!" I politely went with "Surgery, at 8 am, that couldn't be rescheduled for a full month." And I really think that she gave me a knowing look because she proceeded to book me on the sold-out earlier flight in a seat reserved for flight attendants and pilots moving between airports. Other people save their old pee-sticks, I'm saving this ticket stub for a reserved, non-available seat.

So here I am, slightly feverish from an unmedicated sinus infection, hungry, and feeling exceedingly lucky.

3 comments:

ms. c said...

Wow, I'm totally impressed! I think I would have broken down in tears.
Hope your snacks kept you full.

Samantha said...

I am impressed too! Once when trying to get to funeral, D and I seriously delayed. We talked to the ticket agent about the situation and her answer was, "so?"

Io said...

That's awesome. I wonder if she's dealt with IF and had a clue.