Friday, February 22, 2008

When bored on a Thursday night, consider the ER

I guess my body decided to take advantage of this lull in IF treatments by developing an entirely new gastroentological adventure ... starting with severe stomach pain. Optimist that I am, I honestly considered whether this could be those 'magical cramps' that other women seem to get. But no, my tummy doctor told me to go to the ER ...

And while I was mentally prepared for a long wait, my body took over (please karma, don't catch up) and I proceeded to vomit all over the ER waiting room, including some poor guy sitting next to me. So I skipped the triage line because those nurses wanted me out of there A-SAP. Yesterday I ate:
2 hard boiled eggs (breakfast)
2 fried eggs (mid-morning snack)
small salad (lunch)
2 eggs in egg salad (mid-afternoon snack)
2 eggs in egg drop soup (dinner)

I knew we were in trouble when I could reconstitute all my meals from the ER floor ... At least Dr. Gorgeous has a second career in IF if he gets bored of the ER. He was totally fascinated by my treatments and kept reassuring me that my 'body is going through so much' at the moment and I should be brave and strong. The whole thing felt like a confidence-boosting/self-awareness meeting.

The nurse, on the other hand, wasn't so much on my good side. I must have made some snide remark to JD when they came to do a pregnancy test on me (this after explaining in detail to Doctor Gorgeous why my cycle was canceled, not because it was at all relevant, but because he was so intrigued). I know, I know it's just liability, not because they actually thought that my malformed, wimpy eggs might have stopped shrinking and when bcp were added to my cocktail, they might magically transform into super-eggs which would implant so quickly that a pregnancy test could would show up immediately positive less than 4 days post-ovulation. But the nurse would have none of it. She looked right at me and said "Honey, you better believe miracles happen" in a rather threatening tone. So there we have it. If only I believed in -that- type of miracle.

Being entirely paranoid about this cycle being canceled and taking the IF clinic's protocol very seriously to call them before taking any other meds I refused all painkillers till midnight, and only accepted tylenol thereafter. At 4 am my Catsca.n came back. Nope, not the ever-popular appendicitis. I had/have some type of intestinal blockage. Great. And a flight to NYC tonight and to Europe on Tuesday. And an allergy to the front-line meds. So that's where I left it at 4 am. Consulting with a host of doctors today. This could just be an infection, but there are a number of serious problems it could indicate, which might be just my luck. So we didn't really have our romantic evening yesterday night. In fact, JD left me at about 1 am to sleep since he had to be at work at 8 am this morning.

I'm waiting until my specialists get back to me before I notify the IF clinic.

Oh, and Fedex just wrong the doorbell with my new injections!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Just catching up on your blog. What a night (and series of days) you had! Hoping the tummy problems are nothing serious and you're able to move along with this next cycle.