Monday, February 18, 2008

Angry again

The more I think about it, the angrier I am that less than 10 minutes after my cycle was canceled (and mind you, these people are speedy: my new schedule and script for more drugs was handed to me while I was still in the stirrups, not wearing any undies) a Nurse Practitioner who I had never met before and had clearly NEVER READ MY CHART* was lecturing me about diet, and yoga, and needing anger management. Oh, and saying things like 'Well, if you fly down here clearly money isn't an obstacle so maybe you should consider quitting your job to be here full time.' (This pisses me off so much - our next month may take our entire lifetime savings. Honestly. We're young, we're just starting our careers, we'll be fine financially within 2 years but at the moment we're broke). Since I haven't given my blog address to anyone who actually knows me (and JD promised not to read it after setting it up for me), I am the type of person who gets things done, the type of person who is pretty good at hiding her anger and functioning. And that was just inappropriate. I'm sure that I'm mostly angry about the canceled cycle, but nothing lost in channeling a good deal of that anger towards this NP. And I will file a complaint tomorrow because the last thing I want is to get her in the room for my next u/s.

*I know she had never read my chart because she started into the medical version of the 'just relax' speech after I met never have heard of cort.isol before. I have at least 10 pages of lab tests devoted to my co.rtisol alone in my file. She also had no idea that I don't live in the area, and honestly recommended to me that I freeze JD's sperm and do this all alone in NYC. Now, not only does fresh sperm have a higher success rate and IUI's are inexpensive and apparently unnecessary for us, but I am not the type of girl to be doing this entirely alone over 1000 miles from my partner. And neither am I going to quit my career because of IF.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I agree the NP was a off-base with her remarks. That money comment was really inappropriate. You are taking on an awful lot right now, I hope you can get a little break.

Io said...

Wow. I can't believe she had the audacity to say crap like that. I mean, regular people say insensitive things all the time because they don't KNOW any better, but she certainly should know better.