Tuesday, February 5, 2008
the awful diet
Just a quick note to say that I have resolved to actually cook food I can eat, rather than go hungry. And I have brought out my most-beloved kitchen appliance: my extra-large crockpot. Yes, I know, crockpots really belong in the 1950s with hearty milkshakes. But it's incredibly delightful to throw some stuff in the pot in the morning and come back from the library in the evening to an apartment smelling of spices and meat (I wish, wish, wish I had a dairy crockpot but that is not to be for the moment largely because of shelf limitations ...). And I figure that most crockpot recipes you can just substitute more meat for all the carbs. For example, tonight I will be eating a version of moussaka which basically comes down to layers of eggplant and beef with some onions, spices, and a little tomato sauce thrown in. Tomorrow I think I'll make turkey-corn chowder (going very, very light on the corn, of course. maybe I'll substitute tofu ...). And then, after dinner, I'm off to a Super Tuesday party. I guess I'll have to bring snacks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Um, what? Milkshakes are totally happening. As is my crockpot.
Post a Comment