Monday, February 4, 2008

more travel tales and my diet

Things that do not go well together: travel and dieting. I realized on the plane yesterday night that excluding a long weekend in NYC after returning from Europe, I haven't slept in the same place for more than 2 nights in over 3 weeks (not all of that is my fault, Jim Dear decided we should 'get away' this weekend which involved 8 hours of driving over 2 days to a new city, but it was worth it). And as I was torn apart by airport security yet again yesterday night (and specifically as they pulled out my large array of pills), I kept thinking about the scene in James and the Giant Peach where the mysterious little old man shows James the magical worm-like things and tells him something to the extent of 'drink them up all up immediately and wonderful things will start to happen.' And of course, we all know what happened when James spilled the contents of the magical bag ... (I really wanted to grab my pills away from the idiot examining them and tell him something about my rights as a woman not to have my medical history put on display for the world, although in fact security was empty at the time). I'm genuinely shocked to find that IF treatments have made me an optimist, at least for now. I really do think there's a good chance that all this low-grade treatment will work sometime soon. Not so much Jim Dear who rather woefully remarked in the car yesterday 'This is the end of my life.' Oh well, at least he's honest. And clearly that's not his opinion all the time.

So, dieting. It's torture. My RE firmly believes that controlling insulin levels is critical for PCOs women, and especially during a cycle. So I cannot eat any of the following:
- caffeine
- sugar
- flour, rice, pasta, potatoes, carrots, corn
- alcohol
- and I've decided to restrict my salmon and tuna for the moment
Throw in the usual kosher restrictions, and I really can't find enough to eat. My standard day:
breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs
1 chunk of hard cheddar (no carbs)
snack: apple, nuts
lunch: salad with tofu
snack: another hard boiled egg or unsweetened soy milk or berries or nuts again
dinner: meat, when I can find something kosher
otherwise brocoli, miso soup with tofu, more eggs

And here's the absurd part: I'm hungry non-stop and I haven't lost a single pound. Of course, I'm not actually trying to lose weight (since the whole point of this exercise is a condition which will necessitate weight gain), but it would be a nice sign that it's doing something. I simply can't think of enough things to eat. I can't eat out at all except for omelettes or salad because I can't eat meat out, and there are very few restaurants that have vegetarian protein options. Any suggestions would be much, much appreciated.

Also, a small part of me has to wonder whether making me feel miserable is really creating the ideal situation for this cycle. I feel nauseous about 1/3 of the time, I lose a least 1/4 of what I eat to upset stomaches, and I must be running really low on nutrients and calcium by this point. Of course, had I actually seen the doctor on Friday I could have asked him, but I only saw the technician and a very incompetent secretary who kept telling me that 'this procedure' required surgery. I finally threw a fit and they had to send in a nurse to mediate and clue her in. I felt a bit bad because she told me she'd only been working there 2 weeks, but it's a fertility clinic, she needs to be a bit sensitive.

No comments: