But first the good news: back into my 30s. I weighed 138 this morning, down from somewhere above 145. Of course, I'm also newly skeptical of my scale since I went to bed weighing 143 and find that a totally improbable weight loss overnight. But my scale has not been in the 130s for the past 2 years, so this can't be exclusively a technical fluke. Conclusion: I have lost some quantity of weight, possibly close to 5 pounds. Half way to my destination.
So, this afternoon I met up with my future in-laws for lunch. There is a bit of background, but the long and short is that I have a beautiful (cream) wedding dress which -is- skin-tight on the stomach but could be altered to allow a bump. However, my MIL wants me to also have a shiny, bright red skin-tight traditional-Chinese wedding dress. Every time she has offered in the past Jim Dear has staled because he doesn't want me to have a dress custom made which I might not fit into. I do see his point here, but it turns out that since graciously accepting gifts is one of my strengths, I find it hard to decline presents. When she offered yet again today (while out shopping in Chinatown), I accepted. And here's the delusional part: I had somehow completely forgotten all of JD's objections to this purchase until I heard my MIL explain to the tailor that I only planned to lose another 5-10 pounds (her words, not mine) so he shouldn't make the dress to small. And then, like a light bulb, I suddenly remembered that I was trying to get myself into a state to gain a tremendous amount of weight. And this dress is cut from a single piece and would not be in any way easy to alter or drape a shawl over or such. Oops. But the way I see it, either I get a beautiful red dress or I get incredible news, so neither outcome would be entirely disastrous.
Intriguingly, I'm not sure how much my MIL knows about our current 'secret activities.' I know that JD talked to her in the past about my IF and I know that she knows that we want kids ASAP, but she seemed to be talking around it at lunch. She said something about how difficult it would be if we moved to come help in the evenings 'when we need help.' And then she asked me explicitly if I would commute by car next January 'if I had a baby' but then didn't mention it again. If she's thinking grandchild by next January, you'd think she'd have done the math. I'd be happy to talk to her about our IF, but I think that's best left to her son (we still have some language barriers). And everything she's said has been supportive. I'm really just wondering if she knows that we've started treatment or not.
If you've read this far, you have far more patience than I would have. Sorry for the convoluted stories, my life happens to be a bit messy at the moment. But a little good news. A friend had a baby a week ago and since I'm leaving for more RE appointments on Thursday, I figured that I wouldn't get to see the baby until she's at least 3-4 weeks old, which is a bit sad. But my friend, who happens to be a bit of a superwoman (granted, this is not her first child) sent me an e-mail to ask when 'she could drop by' with the baby this week. I'm so excited.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
5 pounds overnight, eh? Yay for magical sleep diets. My favorite kind.
Thanks for stopping by my blog - I am going to add you to my kick-ass list because it seems that you do indeed *kick ass*.
Good work with the weight loss. I think most weight tends to fluctuate up and down within about a 3-5 lb range, but it still means real progress when that range starts dropping.
Your future-MIL sounds like a great woman.
Post a Comment