Sunday, February 24, 2008

My life isn't always a roller coaster

but it definitely seems that way on my blog. And now I have a coherent explanation: every time that something good IF-related happens, I want to record it so that I can reread it later. Of course, I realize that makes it less likely that any of my 3 dedicated readers (hi!) will have time to respond to the important things, but that's a trade-off I have to make.

So, my dear friend R. came over this afternoon. He came to my apartment because I told him over the phone I didn't want to go out to eat, but I hadn't explained anything else. R. is one of these brilliant fellows doing a PhD/MD, and more importantly, unlike every other doctor/med student I know who is sick of hearing about people's medical woes at cocktail parties and such, R. is always enthusiastic to discuss what's going on (after all, some of my medical adventures are rather extra-ordinary). And we'll be in school the same amount of time, which always makes me feel better. R. actually read all my lab results from the ER and explained the couple of tests that I didn't recognize and pointed out the relevant discrepancies for trying to decide if this is just a virus or something more. He spent a good hour talking about my intestines and IF treatments. He's great, entirely self-deprecating about his knowledge and will only go so far as to say things like "If your doctor doesn't mention it, you might want to ask about X ..." So he gave me some possible outcomes for my appointment tomorrow morning. And suggested a 2nd opinion about the cort.isol because he doesn't think my RE is doing enough about it (and truly, neither do I, I was just hoping to ignore the problem). He's not a big believer in my low-carb diet, so he took me to a med-student-sanctioned Tasti D-Lite treat and then to the bookstore to buy a yoga DVD (which he also doesn't think will affect my c.ortisol at all, but can't hurt).

And on our walk to the bookstore we talked about his future family. His fertility problems are of the functional sort; hard for 2 men to produce a beautiful baby without a little help. It's one of those awful situations which I always thought I'd be able to help in some way, but, nope, my parts are broken. And he really wants biological children at the moment. Which is something I find a bit hard to identify with, but I can understand that a lot of the female-side IF anger and frustration also applies to gay men.

Oh, I have so so so much work to do before Tuesday at 12, but tonight is my favorite pop cultural event of the year and I will watch the Oscars start to finish (including the red carpet). Of course, since I don't own a TV, I have to go out. To a fabulous party. I'm bringing wine and champagne, since goodness knows, we have plenty enough of it hanging around the apartment that's not going to get drunk this month. And I'll sneak a cube of bullion into my purse for my own delicious dinner ...

1 comment:

ms. c said...

Oy, you give me so much to read- I should stop by more often!
I have many thoughts about the last few posts...

First, if I dodn't already say it, I'm really sorry about the cycle being cancelled. That's plain shitty. I am still interested in your doctor's theory about taking the entire dose of Letrozole at one shot. Pleasedon't think that I'm judging or doubting... it's really that I'm interested how different docoters do different things.

Second... I'm glad you're not giving Letrozole alone another shot and that you are moving forward and adding the injectables. I am hoping that this combo will produce better follicle results. If you have any questions or fears or anything about the injections, please feel free to email me- that is the exact same pen that I used (though in Canada they call it Puregon.) I think the whole process of transitioning to a more complex protocol was more difficult psycologically than it was actually physically. Also, because of the pcos, don't be surprised if the docotor starts you on a low dose of the injectables. You may read that most people start out at 150IU, but he may be taking is slow as to not hyperstimulate your ovaries. Often the first cycle can be used just to see how your follicles react to the drug.

Third: now I know that this doesn't rate anywhere near IF in complexity, BUT. When I was working on my graduate degree my husband was going through a pretty rigorous conversion (to judaism). This involved many classes, meeting with rabbis, etc... and of course culminated in surgery for his circumcision, a visit to the beit din and the mikvah. All these final steps were taking place in the same month prior my thesis presentation. (I was completing a design degree, and the program was such that you were expected to be in the studio 30 hours a day, or you were a poor student.) As you can imagine the conversion took up much time and emotional energy. I really had no choice to but to tell my (stoic, unfeeling) advisor the absolute truth. I was floored by how supportive and accommodating she was (and she really did not have to be.)

All this to say: you might be surprised. And sometimes having someone just know the truth (you don't have to give her ALL the details) makes the process a bit easier emotionally. (I find that little white lies take alot out of me.) I have been there: immersed in my schooling that I can hardly breathe... And now that I am a few years removed from it I can look back with some perspective and realize that while schooling is really important, so is LIFE.

I hope that's not too preachy. I know this is really long- maybe I should have emailed...

I am only hoping for the best for you and JD.