I wrote last spring about how I felt guilty leaving my dying grandmother for IF clinic appointments (she passed away before TS's conception, but she knew we were trying and was excited about it). And I also wrote over the summer how I really hoped my great-uncle would live to meet his great-great-niece. And he did. But it looks like our planned visit in May may be too late.
He's in the hospital as of tonight and it doesn't look good. If it were up to me I'd be on a plane tomorrow to go visit.* I know that nobody wants long visits when they're in the hospital, but even a half hour would make me feel better and I know he would like to meet TS while he is still cognizant. But my mother doesn't want me to go because she thinks it will be a burden on my great-aunt and her children who are there helping out (and she is also exceedingly practical about death and dying and doesn't see the point of flying all the distance for such a short time together). And even if I rent a car and stay with friends, it's still hard to coordinate with another visitor in town and even harder when that person can't really be all that helpful because they have a baby with them.
So, I'm not at all sure what to do. I would like to go visit. But it might make more sense to go later in the spring, even if that means going to visit my great-aunt when she's alone. I don't want to be a burden on the local family, but I have really enjoyed the time I spent with my relatives this past year (JD's home in City X was quite close) and I would like a chance to say good-bye. Thoughts?
* It's a long flight but since we're in NYC it's always feasible to find inexpensive last minute tickets and I think TS is old enough to not worry about her getting sick from the flight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Go and say goodbye. You never regret the good things that you do, only the ones you don't do. Over-thinking always makes things seem impossible. If you have any thoughts that you might regret not going, then you need to go.
I'm not sure I see why your visit would be a burden to your aunt, if you'd be staying with friends. It's not as if you'd arrive and demand to entertained, right? You're there to offer what support and comfort you can. I'd bet they'd be touched and appreciative that you made the effort to be with them at such a difficult time.
Post a Comment