All was well at my six week postpartum visit today. It would be even better if my body would stop bleeding, but apparently I'm still in the 'normal' range (it's really not much, but enough to keep me from even being to guess when I'll be able to go to the mikveh). The midwife even took the time to reassure me that TS is suffering from nothing more than a severe case of baby acne (my slightly funny-looking little alien is not looking her best today).
After a very perfunctory exam she declared me 'fully healed' and proceeded to ask about birth control. I told her I hadn't thought about it too much (haha - except for that little OCD trip to an ob/gyn to obsess 2 weeks ago ...) and she reassured me yet again that it was totally unnecessary. She said that between my IF diagnosis and breastfeeding, it would take 'An act of Gd to get pregnant in the next 6 months' and if that were to happen I should 'just enjoy it.' And honestly, I think she's right.
Yes, it would be truly awful for my career to have another baby immediately (um, that whole must go abroad to finish my research thing), it would be fairly awful for my relationship with JD (not like we get that much time to ourselves as is between our jobs and a little fusspot and we did just get married, after all), it would be mildly unfair to TS to have to share my attention so soon, and it would be fairly miserable on my body (the sleep deprivation more than anything else), but honestly? I don't care. It would be such an incredible miracle to have another child that it would be worth it.
So there you have it. We are just going to play Russian roulette and see what happens. Of course, chances are absolutely nothing will happen. I have after all only ovulated once in my life (and the result is lying grunting next to me) and my IF was not solely caused by PCOs, but still, a girl can dream. And although I fully expect to lose ALL of my readers should we manage to somehow grow our family again in the next year or two, you have my full permission to come back and say "Fool - we told you so."
The only problem is that as someone who is 100% anovulatory I don't really want to randomly taking pg tests every couple of weeks to check, but since I had a symptom-free first trimester, I think I may need to. I hope that process is not overly-traumatic. It's not like I'm having more than a drink at a time now or caffeine, but I am certainly enjoying my sushi and soft cheeses and hot dogs and, well, SUGAR.
Oh yeah, and JD agreed with the midwife. Beats me why or whether it was really an informed decision, but he did. [Ok, that sounds awful. I'm sure he understands the risks. It's just that while he's happy not to use any birth control, he also smiled on the way out of the office and told me how glad he was that 'we'll never be back here.' When I asked what he was talking about, he told me that by the time we're even thinking about growing our family again in some manner we'll be living in another city. Now, since we're not moving for another 3 years and he has already budgeted into 2010's budget another round of IF treatments, I have no idea what he is talking about ...]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment