Saturday, January 3, 2009

Overheard near JD

I know JD is adjusting quite well to fatherhood. My longtime readers may remember that one of JD's charms (at least to me) is his tendency to say exactly what's on his mind (My husband may be the only one who didn't get in trouble for admiring his wife's new curves when she got out of the shower at 8 months pregnant with a loud "Ew!!!") - at least I know what he's thinking.

Overhead in the past week chez nous:

"Yes, you are just like a little puppy. A very sleepy puppy. And I always wanted a puppy." (As the fusspot rooted on his chest at bedtime. Had I known all he wanted was a puppy ...).

"She's just like a parakeet. A very expensive and fussy parakeet. And I never wanted a bird." (Overheard in hushed tones after I admonished JD to put some more clothes on the poor baby after a 4 am diaper/outfit change).

"Oh, look! She's a mole. Pink and roly-poly and not very clever ..."

"Which one was it in the Wizard of Oz who had no brain?" (As the fusspot rooted energetically into the blanket next to the breast ..."

********

Nicknames: As you might notice, the baby has acquired a whole new set of nicknames in a variety of languages (JD is an immigrant and I am a first generation American - we have plenty of languages floating around). She is looking much, much less like an alien both because she has filled out quite a bit (no more ribs and sternum poking out), her eyes are no longer quite so deep-set, and the rather striking birthmark on her face has faded noticeably already (it used to look like 3 bright red flames coming out of the top of her noes - she still has a good deal of discoloration on her eyelids which will fade in the next few months*). And sadly, she no longer spends quite as much time waving her left arm suggestively to some distance audience only she can see. I think for the long-term I will refer to her as "TS" on this blog.

* I do not mean to make light of my daughter's birthmark by referring to it as alien-like. Even before we left the hospital, we had been offered a referral for a plastic surgeon. I find that completely absurd (although I understand why other people would act differently). I will admit to being rather surprised that most of her face at birth was coverd in birthmarks, but there is a very strong chance that her birthmarks will fade completely in the next few years, and if they don't then we will wait until she is ready to make a decision for herself about a purely cosmetic procedures. I, for one, had a weird birthmark on my left knee which my family found embarrassing. I personally thought it was quite magical since my favorite my little pony had a very similar mark on her left hind leg - which goes to show that you never know what kids will make of these things.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Congratulations on your new baby girl and for overcoming the initial worries with a newborn. I really appreciate your perspective on the birthmarks. She'll be set to have a strong sense of self confidence and self acceptance with that kind of guidance.