Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy (American) New Years

JD and I might not get that many stares when we're out and about as a couple in NYC, but let me assure you that when a 20-something white girl in pajamas, imitation uggs, and unbrushed hair (that's me, and given my recent lack of showers or real clothes, I tend to look on the younger side of the 20s) wanders into a liquor store on Long Island pushing a newborn in a stroller (that's the alien) during a snowstorm with a 50-something Chinese man (that's my FIL) ... well, you can tell people are puzzled. But we needed champagne for New Years. And chocolate chip cookie mix because I'm too tired to make real cookies.

We have a lot of New Years to celebrate. We always spend the Jewish new years with my parents in the South, and try to spend Chinese new years with JD's parents, and since neither of us love crowded bars we tend to spend American new years also at his parents sitting on the couch sipping champagne and eating warm cookies and watching TV (because of course we don't own a TV). Not too exciting, but very cozy. And JD's mother always makes us dumplings, which are totally scrumptious, because that's how you celebrate new years. And the entire family sits around eating unshelled sunflower seeds (they crack them in their mouth) which is a skill I totally lack. While JD and his parents and cousins accumulate these little stacks of sunflower shells, I usually manage to crack about 10 seeds before giving up in frustration ...

I hope your New Years is as pleasant and relaxing, and for those of you still waiting for a take-home baby, my thoughts are with you.

ps - If you have a moment, please pop over and congratulate Patti and Mark on the arrival of Baby Jack. And if you want a good cry, please read the most recent post at Uterine Wars and congratulate Soper, D and Moonpie on finally completing their family after a very long wait.

2 comments:

Tobacco Brunette said...

Happy New Year - chocolate chip cookies and champagne? Sure you're not still pregnant?

Hope you and the babe are doing well.

docgrumbles said...

Have a great 2009!