Monday, December 15, 2008

6 months, 6 days, 5 ounces

Six months ago today I stood beneath a chuppah and married the man of my dreams.

Six days ago we welcomed our daughter.

And today I found out that she lost five ounces since Friday.*

Here we go lactation consultants, pumping after every feed, more pediatrician appointments and a whole new level of anxiety. She is currently draped across my chest, nude except for a cloth diaper and there is milk running from both of my breasts into the top of my sweatpants. And lurking in the back of my mind is that sinking feeling that if I hadn't been put on such a restrictive diet for a disease I probably did not actually have, I would have had a beautiful, healthy seven or eight pound daughter instead of one who now weighs slightly less than the smallest weight I ever use at the gym and who is getting increasingly challenging to wake every two hours.

No wonder I am a bit emotional today.

* She had already lost some weight in the first three days, so this weight loss pushed us over the 10% limit (babies are not supposed to lose more than 10% of their body weight in the first two weeks).

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Bless your heart. I have no advice nor do I have anything profound to say but I'm thinking about both of you.

Ms. J said...

I thought it was pretty typical that they lose about a half-pound in the days after birth?

Rachel said...

Yes, all newborns lose weight after birth but the guidelines are that they shouldn't lose more than 10% of their birth-weight and she just reached that limit.

Wordgirl said...

Hi Rachel,

I'm just popping my head in to say that I'm sure she's lovely -- and it must be all overwhelming right now but if its any comfort I was very premature -- and 2lbs five ounces -- perhaps three lbs when my parents took me home eventually -- and though my mother had to actually set the alarm for feedings -- and I thrived.

I hope the anxiety eases a bit and that you're gentle with yourself,

Pam