Wednesday, December 17, 2008

not great

Just a quick update.

The baby is holding her weight but not gaining. Her eyes are turning yellow, so I guess her jaundice is getting worse. No idea why we can't just put her under the jaundice lights, but the doctor seems to be very hesitant (and yes, they've tested her blood levels and it's not dangerous yet but it certainly makes it harder to feed her).

I bought a breastpump, which was broken. Medela has the worst customer service. Hopefully will manage to buy another one today. Definitely getting plugged ducts and spiked a high fever yesterday night while nursing. Trying to feed the baby hand expressed milk with an eye dropper - probably the least effecient method ever. There must be something better out there.

There's nothing wrong with my supply or the baby's latch, she's just so little that she gets too tired to nurse. I am supposed to nurse her every 2 hours night and day until she gains some weight. As you can imagine, I am tired.

I will post in a few days. Another pediatrician appointment tomorrow.

5 comments:

docgrumbles said...

Hope things improve!

Hmm... I just received a Medela pump...hope I don't have the same hassles!

Wishing you much strength!

Rachel said...

This must be so overwhelming for you. I'm glad the pediatrician isn't too concerned but I do understand why you are.

I'm keeping you in my prayers. Hang in there!

LadyofAvalon56 said...

Hey there, Just thought I'd share a bit of my story in the hopes that it makes you feel better.

When my twins were born (14 years ago) my son had similar issues to your baby girl. Everytime he latched onto the breast, he fell asleep and no amount of undressing, bouncing, tickling his feet or pinching (yes, one nurse actually pinched him and I nearly punched her) made a difference.

We were still in the hospital as I had had a c-section, but they were concerned and told me if he didn't start to eat and gain weight in the next 24 hours they would have to keep him in.

I was terrified and sure that I was already failing as a mother. The child had no interest in eating, really. Just wanted to sleep. I don't think I've ever cried as much as I did then.

Anyway, the next day, he had maintained but not gained weight. The doctor came in and saw the state I was in and told off the nurses for worrying me so. The doc said to give my son dextrose (sugar water) from a cup. He explained that it's a cyclical thing: the baby doesn't eat, so he doesn't have the energy to wake up when he's hungry and eat, so he sleeps...and so on and so on.

I have to tell you, we gave him the dextrose/water solution maybe twice and he was a different kid. All of a sudden, he was ravenous and wanted to eat ALL the time. It was just the boost of energy that he needed to break the cycle.

He's now 5'9" and still growing.

Your baby will be okay - they'll keep an eye on her and if they're really worried, they'll admit her to the hospital. Remind yourself of that.

As for the jaundice, I just learned at prenatal that it's very common for breastfed babies to become more jaundice in the first week of life and unless the bilirubin count is too high, they just prefer that you continue to breastfeed and let the baby work it out.

Who knew?

If you ever need an ear, drop me an email. I'm here.

Patti

Anonymous said...

I hope things get easier very soon. Tal.ia is beautiful!

ms. c said...

Sending you a hug Rachel. It is tough work with the feeding and the worry and the effects taht all of this has on your body.
Sacha ened up in the NICU in his first week because of jaundice, weight loss and not wanting to eat. Everything ended up ok.
If the docotr was more concerned he would definately be taking greater measures.
I am certain Talia will be just fine, and she will be gaining weight in no time.
I hope you are feeling better soon.