Wednesday, January 21, 2009

frustration

I thought we had chosen a daycare in my little corner of Europe. I thought all the decisions had been made. AND THEN, I found a much better daycare. Yes, the first one is fine but it's in a pretty bad location (for babies, it's actually super-convenient for me) but it's run by an overhead institution and has a few little red flags. And that matters a lot when you're signing up for months of a daycare in a foreign country sight unseen.

The new daycare is lovely. Next to woods, permanent staff, small classes, great infant room. The problem? It's nowhere near my work and I can't seem to find the bus routes for the town it's in online. So, I might be committing to a daycare that would require multiple buses both directions to drop off and pick up TS. And since I'll be living alone, that could be a big hassle if a meeting runs late, for example. But 90% of me says to go with my gut and put TS in the-very-best-daycare-we-can-find despite the inconvenience. But will I regret this later? My little corner of Europe happens to have all-round great daycare, so option #1 is still much better than anything we'd find in NYC in terms of staff stability and training, small classes, going outside, activities, etc.

Argh! I just want to be done thinking about daycare so we can start thinking about how to find a furnished apartment (with internet if we get really lucky).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to say at the beginning, that I'm not in any way advocating being selfish, and taking your needs over TS's needs (which you obviously aren't doing). But, TS probably won't notice too much difference between the absolute best daycare, and a really good one. But, she will probably notice a big difference in Mommy's stress level. So, since you are going to be by yourself most of the time, in a foreign country, presumably working really hard to get your research done, it's okay if you take into consideration what makes life easier for you on one front. I guess that I'm saying it's okay to factor your needs into the equation as well, because babies/kids do sense stress that parents are experiencing.