Sunday, October 5, 2008

We're going to be fine

Sometimes it just takes a little perspective to know that JD and I are going to be just fine.

As I'm typing, there is a beautiful 3-month old baby snoring on our floor. On our daughter's quilt. With her toys around her.

My friend's home daycare fell apart again this week (the caregiver's daughter was sick, again) and she and her husband both needed a few hours to work. She called while we were away for the holidays, so I offered to take the baby 'for as long as she was cute and happy' this afternoon. I figured JD would flee the moment I wandered in with a 3-month old, but he instead happily spent 2 hours making funny faces at her and holding her (!!!) and letting us 'supervise' his putting the apartment back in order (they took out the lead paint and repainted while we were gone, so the place was a mess). And JD did not leave to get coffee until the baby was happily down for her nap.

And yes, it was hard to transition to holding a real, live smiling baby and I don't expect it to be easy the first several weeks. But we are going to adjust, both to the completely unexpected addition of another person in our lives and to the responsibility for that person. And it seems like the surreality of this entire pregnancy (no symptoms, few complications, depending on the outfit people still aren't sure I'm pregnant even though I'm in the 3rd trimester) will come to an end.

So here I sit watching the baby sleep and feeling much, much better about finding a balance in the spring. Up later this week: searching for daycare in 3 different cities (and 2 continents) to cover the next 18 months.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I am so glad to hear how well you are. I haven't checked blogs in a long time, but now the time feels right! How much longer do you have to go?
You always are so busy..I don't know how you do it!!

Anonymous said...

And yes, it was hard to transition to holding a real, live smiling baby and I don't expect it to be easy the first several weeks. But we are going to adjust, both to the completely unexpected addition of another person in our lives and to the responsibility for that person. And it seems like the surreality of this entire pregnancy will come to an end.

Anonymous said...

My friend's home daycare fell apart again this week (the caregiver's daughter was sick, again) and she and her husband both needed a few hours to work. She called while we were away for the holidays, so I offered to take the baby 'for as long as she was cute and happy' this afternoon. I figured JD would flee the moment I wandered in with a 3-month old, but he instead happily spent 2 hours making funny faces at her and holding her (!!!) and letting us 'supervise' his putting the apartment back in order. And JD did not leave to get coffee until the baby was happily down for her nap.