Sometimes I wonder if because JD missed the first trimester (I was abroad) and I have been in unusually good health during this pregnancy, he's missed the whole idea of pampering me. But he just headed out to finish some work, and came back 2 minutes later with a stack of empty boxes he found on the street. I think he's finally getting that he's going to have to do the physical work for this move (even if I will still be in charge).
And since 2 of my most favorite bloggers asked why we're moving, the short answer is that we have the incredible luxury of living in graduate student housing. Our rent is significantly less than market value and it allows us to live in a decent neighborhood despite our low income. However, the downside of institutional housing is that the university has the worst housing policies ever. We have been on a wait list for 'family' housing since last spring, which isn't such a long time, but we're not necessarily guaranteed better housing this fall and if we decline it'll probably be another year before we're given a chance to move. Oh, and they usually require you to move within 48 hours of signing a contract, during which time other students are allowed to 'view' your still inhabited apartment to decide if they want it. Moving on 48 hours notice in NYC is the pits, and it significantly raises all the costs involved. We didn't find out that our lottery number was up until Friday, and luckily we won't be looking at apartments till Wednesday, but a friend with 2 children was told Friday at 4 pm that she should be ready to move on Tuesday.
The truth is that I am quite attached to the mini-apartment and it's in a great location, but if this is our one and only opportunity to get a 'subsidized' 2-bedroom, we really have to take it. I wish that we could buck the trend and not have our rent rise at the same time we have to start paying for childcare, but 320 square feet is a bit on the small side for three of us.
And that is why I instructed JD to stop by the liquor store on the way home and see if they have any empty boxes for us ... when of course what I'd really like is for him to bring home a nice cool bottle of prosecco and some top-shelf liquor.
Update: I am so excited! Months after we put our registry online, people have actually started buying us presents this week. Real, useful things we won't have to buy ourselves - today someone ordered us some cloth diapers and a breastfeeding pillow and baby sling - so exciting! (we really limited our registry to absolutely necessary items because of our space constraints. We're not getting a changing table or any decorations, etc. at this point since the poor baby is being pushed into the corner next to our bed for the foreseeable future...) but then I realized that if we move all those presents won't be forwarded to our new address. Should be fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Moving stinks but once it's done, I'm sure you'll be better off. You've done an excellent job of concentrating on the positives even though that must be rather difficult right now. Good job!
Now I get it. I didn't realize you were in graduate housing...that's sweet. I don't blame you for making the move to get that second bedroom.
I hope it all goes smoothly. Take care!
Thanks for explaining! 320 sq ft is a little tight, so I hope you're able to get a place.
Post a Comment