Monday, October 20, 2008

Moving

It seems likely that we'll be moving early next week. We won't find out for sure until midday Thursday. I was super-stressed about moving at this point, so I thought I'd try to find some positives (of which there are many):

Cons:
- I can't lift stuff. Oh, and JD really can't pack. I do all of our packing and moving and have for the past 5 1/2 years. It is going to be really, really hard to watch him pack stuff (he almost broke 3 dishes just cleaning up Friday night - this is usually comical but not when I can't fix it).
- Packing a full apartment overnight sucks.
- We had just finished setting up the 'nursery' corner.
- We may live in a mini-apartment (~320 sq. ft. but it's in a great location).
- Movers are so expensive, even if we pack everything.
- Our current building only allows moves from 9 to 5 weekdays, which basically means nobody will be able to come help us and we won't be able to hire the cheapest movers who only do nights and weekends.
- We might be moving into a walk-up. Ugh.
- Our rent will definitely go up. But hopefully not by too much.

Pros:
- Ok, living on the 1st floor might not be a good idea with a baby (basically if a bullet were to happen to come in the window it would have a 50% chance of going straight into the crib. Our neighborhood is pretty safe, but there are the requisite NYC shootings every year. Oh, and when people sit and smoke on the stoop they blow smoke directly into the crib ...).
- JD doesn't start work for another week, so at least he'll be around to help.
- It will (might) be easier to move now then in the spring.
- It would be nice to have a 2-bedroom or a larger 1-bedroom.
- I will find myself a beautiful, cheap, used kitchen table if we move. And then we will not need a folding table on Friday night.
- I might be able to convince some of my friends/family to come help with the baby the first week or two if we have a bigger place.
- This may put off our 'big move' to a cheaper neighborhood for another year. Or not.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Did I miss something? Why are you moving now? Good luck with the packing and moving - it's never fun, but hopefully your new place will have some advantages!

tobacco brunette said...

Moving sucks. I hope JD is able to find some help. I'm curious, too...why are you moving now?