Monday, July 7, 2008

Thanks

Thank you for all your kind comments. I am feeling much better (not physically, mentally). I have my 'anatomy scan' on Wednesday (I thought they usually do that at 20 weeks, but apparently in 'high risk' patients or post-IF patients here they like to do it at 16 weeks and then send you back if they need another round a month later ...) So at least, by lunchtime on Wednesday, I should feel thoroughly reassured that the fetus is doing fine.

I'm pretty sure I have an infection of some sort. And I wish I knew what sort, and if it is dangerous. But given my allergies, it's pretty unlikely that they would treat it at this point anyway. In short, the situation is concerning but having a definite diagnosis might not make all that much difference.

And I had overlooked the good news: I am incredibly relieved that the doctor didn't push me to start my one and only antibiotic on Thursday because I would be stuck on it for 14 days and it makes me vomit non-stop and lose weight.

And I realized I could just put up with the extra testing. STD testing isn't actually nearly as expensive as the full genetic screening that I had -twice- this year (that's over $10,000 per go round given my family history and there's no reason to ever repeat those tests, as far as I know. I paid only a $10 co-pay. If only I could have put the 2nd $10,000 payment towards IF treatments, but that's a different story ...). JD left me a highlighted stack of papers indicating that I am not legally required to submit to further testing, but it might not be worth the fight. I told him I might just cave in order not to have another battle with a stupid doctor in the morning, as long as they would also seriously consider a non-STD infection, and he responded in classic JD tone: "But darling,we 're making a cottage industry out of harassing doctors. Everyone has to do something with their time." So either I'll be up for a fight or not, but even if I don't get any answers tomorrow I should still get reassurance on Wednesday morning. I just really hope that they are willing to consider other types of infections/causes.

ps - And thanks for the chiropractor recommendation - I will definitely try to find one. I am slightly dubious that this back pain is a result of either the bump or the upper body growth since I have been a Size 34G for the past decade or so without any back pain, but maybe the little change in my body has pushed me over the edge. I had hoped that pre-natal yoga might help if this is chronic back pain, but there isn't any in City X. We have already have a super-luxurious appointment for a couple's massage lesson in early August where JD is supposed to learn what massage techniques are safe during pregnancy, so that should also help with normal lower back pain.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Whatever happens, keep up posted!