Tuesday, July 8, 2008

On to happier thoughts ...

On my way out of the public library in City X this afternoon, I rode the elevator with 2 adorable 13 or 14 year old girls. The one looked at me (I am wearing a stretchy non-maternity dress) and said:

"How many months along are you?"
To my immense surprise, I smiled, and replied "Four."
Her eyes got really big and she looked me up and down. Me: "It's kind-of crazy what your body does."
"Yeah. It really is." says the girl [Editorial interjection: while staring awe-struck at my bosom and bump.)]
"You want a boy or a girl?"
"Oh, doesn't matter."
She nods, as if that is very wise of me, and we exit the elevator.

In other random news, I cut all my hair off over the weekend. It wasn't so much intentional as the result of a sudden impulse to get a $12 haircut while JD was having his hair trimmed. It was a bargain, and you really can't be too picky at that price. But I'm getting used to it and I think it will be very convenient to have short hair when we travel. And almost, almost all of the Marilyn Monroe blond has finally been cut out, which is great.

Also, JD bought me a very fancy present. A new digital camera. I had suggested that I might ask my father for a new digital camera to take photos of the wonderbaby, since I couldn't really see him getting excited about onesies or even a car seat off a registry (he really doesn't do well shopping off registries, it turns out. It is sometimes a puzzle how he can mess up buying an item off an am.azon wish list, but it happens). I figured he would be excited to buy me something high-tech and would enjoy shopping around to find the very best new digital camera. I just didn't realize that JD would also enjoy the process of shopping for a digital camera. I can't really tell the difference between my old and new cameras, but JD assures me this one is much better and has 'many more important features.' And since the old digital was a hand-me-down from JD and had been through the Sahara twice and many other ill-advised travels for a piece of digital equipment, I guess the new camera was a good call.

And lastly, the only good news from my doctors visit this morning: I gained weight! Something like 3 pounds, which is great. My prediction is in a just a few short weeks you'll be able to listen to me whine/worry about gaining too much weight ...

3 comments:

Ms. J said...

I'm jealous of your new camera. We need a new one for our trip but I think the old one is gonna have to suffice :o(

Samantha said...

I hope you are feeling better, even without any sort of diagnosis.

My in-laws got us a fancy digital camera. I gotta say, as a point-and-shot gal, it's mostly lost on me. My main criteria for a camera are small, light, with long battery life. Unfortunately, this camera has none of those features, but it does seem to take good pictures!

docgrumbles said...

You must be looking like a hot preggo!