This is a fascinating NYT's article: "A Lab is set to test the gender of some female athletes." It's not so much the description of the tests or whether they are in fact fair, but the fact that all of the past cases of women being disqualified from the Olympics for being 'men' are cases where the woman in question had no idea of her chromosomal abnormalities. Although my sister is an XX, one of her early fertility doctors described her as closer to an XXY and that description makes a lot of sense given her medical issues. Of all the barage of tests done on me from age 11 to age 27, I remember being most terrified of the chromosomal results (did I mention I have had the most extensive genetic and hormonal testing any of my doctors have seen? Basically every new endocrinologist or RE I saw, either because I had moved or I didn't feel confident in the standard of care, decided to rule out a few more super-rare syndromes, and voila, 6 inches of medical files on just my IF).
What bothers me is given that we know that gender-sex assignments can be complex and given how openly our particular community embraces homosexual, transexual or other types of queer children, why is the entire marketing world still focused on pink and blue?
Which brings me to my current dilemma: being cheap vs. being a feminist. [Digression: I had a fabulous baby shower last week (9 guests including one toddler, a potluck dinner, invite called for hors d'oeuvres at 6:30 pm and nobody left until 11 pm, sweet, thoughtful presents) but I'm realizing that I probably won't have another (which is totally fine with me - I had one, and it was great) and that as the first of our close friends to have kids, we won't be getting that many baby presents.] [Digression #2: Everything is cheaper in City X than NYC. Much, much cheaper. We are trying to buy things that we know we will need here, especially since JD's work is paying for movers for us, which really is a joke since we told them to expect 5-6 boxes and 1 disassembled crib.] So, the question is, should I snap up a few of these fabulous dirt-cheap cra.ig.s.list baby clothes offers (you know, the type that read gallon sized bag of 3-9 mos. old girls clothing, half with the tags still on, $25) knowing that the clothes will be 90% pink, frilly, and covered with slogans like 'girls are like sunshine' and 'princess in charge' or should I fork over a good deal more money and time to try and find more gender-neutral clothing?*
*I know it doesn't really matter at all. Of course the wonderbaby won't remember her infant clothing, but then again, how am I going to have credibility telling my friends and in-laws that we want her to have trucks and trains and puzzles in addition to princess clothing if she's dressed all in pink? And if we start with an all-pink wardrobe, when do we transition to something more normal?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm a punk rock girl. Not girlie at all. So when I found out I was having a girl, I was like "NO PINK FOR MY KIDS!".
But when my little girl was born, I didn't like, no scratch that, I ~loathed~ dressing up my child in anything gender nuetral. Why? Because she didn't "look" like a girl. Which surprised the shit out of me. I mean, why the heck would I care? I dress in jeans and tshirts myself. I'm not frilly. I'm not girlie. Yet I couldn't stand it when a stranger (who I could care less about!) could look at my daughter and honestly not know if she was a girl or a boy.
So that's my input on gender nuetral clothes. Surprising things may tend to happen.
Oh - heck, I should sell all my clothes to you from my girls. Pink, yes. But pink with a skull and crossbones on it. ~wink~
Post a Comment