Thursday, July 24, 2008

Exhale

Everything is fine. 19 weeks. Heartbeat 145. Up 10 lbs from a reasonable starting point (up 16 lbs from my awful-no-carb-diet).

The good news of course comes after I woke up twice in the middle of the night from nightmares that I was bleeding. Very vivid nightmares. In one I was with my friend C. at the MOMA and I started gushing blood and I remember sitting in a stall crying and pleading with the woman next to me to give me a pad. Great, huh?

JD ran interference with Nurse Awful, who asked again exactly what I was doing in for an appointment so soon. The NP was of course as friendly and bubbly as could be. They haven't even looked at my anatomy scan results yet (from 16.5 weeks) so she has no idea if I have an anterior placenta or not, but will let me know sometime.

I am of course anemic (11, I think) so they gave me some prescription iron tablets. I suppose it wouldn't have been a big deal to wait another 3 weeks to start the iron, but I did that lab work 2 weeks ago so 5 weeks total would have been a tad bit long to wait to tell me ... And, the weird feeling of someone pushing pins into my bellybutton from the inside was not kicking (thank goodness! I was not looking forward to any more of that). It was my abdominal muscles ripping apart, something I failed to read about in any of my books. NP says it's totally normal.

In summary, the office visit wasn't nearly as bad as expected. Of course, I do find it slightly perturbing that at 19 weeks I have yet to see a doctor at this practice (The nurses explanation: she has a lot of c-sections to do, doesn't make me feel much better). But, I am now ready to let me deeply-submerged-inner-earth-mother take over for the rest of the pregnancy. And to help with that transition, barring any medical disasters in the next 3 weeks, all of my future care will be with a NYC midwife.

7 comments:

Pufferfish said...

Good for you for standing up for yourself and getting in there. Sounds like everything is moving along just as it should...
So sorry you have to deal with the crazy nurse, wrong line of work maybe?

Anonymous said...

um...not seeing a doctor is NOT ok. I would talk to somebody about that. I'll bet they are billing your insurance company as if you are!

Anonymous said...

Whew. You had me worried!

docgrumbles said...

omg ... you haven't seen a doctor??? Even with my crappy practice and HMO I have seen a doc at every single visit!

Samantha said...

I'm glad everything is going fine! I agree that it's a little odd not to have seen a doctor by 19 weeks! Definitely something to complain about, although I suppose you'll be through with this practice.

Evillage said...

Sounds like a good plan. Glad you're started on the iron and that things are rolling along!

Just Me. said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

I am reading your blog from the beginning and I have so much to learn from you.

As you would know I just found out that I am pg and maybe cuz I've been in the infertile world for so long that I find being pg all too unfamiliar.

I'll be dropping by soon again.