The important news is that the wonderbaby seems to be totally fine and not in distress. Heartbeat in the mid-150s. Lots of kicking.
And I have a diagnosis, which was totally obvious once she mentioned it. Dr. Google said all of the following could be 'normal pregnancy symptoms':
a. peeing a lot
b. lower back pain turning into shooting pain up my back
c. nausea (What to Expect even say some few women don't develop nausea till the 2nd trimester)
d. sleepiness and general malaise
e. weird pain during 'adult activities'
BUT, when you put all 5 in combination and confirm with a quick little lab test, you have a diagnosis of a raging bladder infection. Fun.
Need I mention that given my allergies bladder infections are not so easy to treat in my body? After weighing the risks, we've decided to leave it untreated over the weekend. So I'll be chugging 8 liters of water a day, washing down 6 cranberry pills and praying that this doesn't spread to my kidneys before Monday. If it does, it's straight to the ER for me (and the doctor told me, very reassuringly, "You'll know. You'll have a high fever and feel like you're dying.") But as long as it doesn't spread, this really is one of the least serious untreatable infections I could have acquired (the normal treatment for someone with my allergies is a large dose of steroids, but that's out at the moment. There are other drugs but they're all Class C or worse). And I feel so much, much better knowing it's nothing that is going to hurt the wonderbaby in its current incarnation. Thank you all for your support yesterday!
Got to run - too much water in my system already ...
Update: Oh no, oh no. I decided to check in with my NYC midwife, hoping she'd have some nice homeopathic remedies to suggest. Instead she totally freaked me out. Said that they need to run serious lab tests over the weekend and figure out if the one and only antibiotic I can take (in my whole life, ever, we really try to save it for emergencies and anyway it makes me violently nauseous) will work and otherwise she thinks I might need to be admitted already and kept pumped up on the IV fluids. Just paged the poor overworked ob/gyn in City X ...
Update2: Deep sigh. Ob/gyn in City X assured me that she's already sent my test over to the lab for a further culture and will get back to me Monday with the seriousness of the infection and whether my one and only top-shelf antibiotic will work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Glad that it's just a UTI and nothing to do with the baby!
A friend of mine also used to take garlic capsules with bladder infections and swore they helped,too.
Glad the baby is ok, but yech - UTIs are the worst - I hope it goes easy.
I'm glad you got a diagnosis. Now I hope that you will be able to treat it without too much hassle!
Sorry about the infection. At least the little one is looking well.
Yeesh! A UTI and no easy drugs. So so sorry. I hope the cranberry/water trick does the job.
On the weight thing:
Even though I just MC'd I was really shocked that I'd only gained 2 pounds since my egg retrieval. I was eating liek a horse and truly needed maternity pants to accomodate my bloat. Also, Amalah is not gaining much weight, and she's eating fast food! So, who knows?
Post a Comment