I am amazed at how long the sense of calm has lasted after the ultrasound. Let's hope I get at least another week of total calm.
After the ultrasound on Wednesday, I took JD to lunch. He was incredibly quiet and unenthusiastic during the u/s itself, and I was getting a bit worried. But for naught, turns out he just hadn't had any coffee yet and had an awful caffeine headache. He cheered up immensely at lunch. And we discussed 'Gender' (yes, with a capital G).
Of course JD said he didn't have any preference between a boy and a girl. But with a little prodding, he did admit that a girl was going to be much harder to raise. After all, according to JD, "Little boys are just like puppies. They just need to run around a lot and know they're loved. Most little boys are totally clueless. I was. But girls ... they have emotions." So that sums up our parenting philosophy: lots of love and a fenced in yard. It's too bad we live in the city and can't actually provide the fenced yard, but I'm sure we'll find a substitute.
I called my mom, sister, aunt, aunties, and great-aunt with the news. I guess I should have expected it, but I was a bit annoyed by the collective sigh of relief that I'm having a girl (my family has a heavy preponderance of girls. My mother and aunt grew up in a house with 6 girls - the two of them and four first cousins, double related - ie. my grandmother's only sister married my grandfather's only brother and then they opened a family business and lived in one big house with six little girls ....). I'm just hoping we can put off the princess talk and pretty pink pastels for at least a couple of years ....
And then there are 2 things on my mind that have been annoying me this week. In no particular order:
1. I'm broke. Really, really broke. As in, less than $200 total left between my checking and savings account. And I was feeling really guilty about it. Yes, we had all sorts of large unexpected expenditures this year: paying completely out of pocket for infertility treatments, the sharp rise in the value of the euro, buying at least 2 plane tickets a month to see JD and some super-expensive last minute plane tickets timed around cycles, but still. I was feeling guilty about the poor management of money and worried about next year when some helpless little person will rely on my budgeting. And then I realized, I'm not that bad with money, something must be going on. Something like:
- my subletter in NYC has not paid me 2 months rent, but I've already paid the rent to the building
- I'm waiting for a big refund from a wedding vendor who no-showed the day of (and for which I subsequently had to pay someone else)
- I'm waiting for security deposits to be returned from a wedding almost a month ago
- I paid 2 of my credit card bills twice when I got back from Europe, so I have big credits on those cards
So the real problem is other people are being slow and incompetent about paying me. And I'm the one who is out money in the short time, and it is the pits [Let me clarify for any of you seriously concerned about my ability to buy groceries, etc. This is my personal account that is empty. JD and I have a joint account and a joint credit card which I can use for whatever I want, and on top of that JD has been giving me a 'cash allowance' so that he doesn't have to see all of my shopping on the bill he gets, so I'm not going to have to skimp on necessities. It's just all the indulgent shopping that I'd like to do and will have to wait, like new maternity clothes].
2. I may not be getting a baby shower. Which is really sad and depressing. I thought I'd have 2 - one at my mom's house right before Rosh Hashanah and one in NYC for our friends. We're definitely going to my parent's for Rosh Hashanah and we'll be there for almost a full week because of 2 weekend weddings, so there's plenty of time. But my mother basically declined to throw one. I know, she has 3 children getting married this summer. But my wedding shower (hosted by a friend) was just a lovely brunch with 12 women at a restaurant. Super elegant and relaxed (and not too expensive because it was brunch), and I thought we could basically do the same thing again. But my mother told me she's too busy and tired.
And I wanted a coed baby shower in NYC for our friends who couldn't make it to the wedding. I'd even decided which friend I was going to ask to borrow their apartment (they are gone a lot of weekends) and what food I was going to make, etc. Except that I firmly believe it's rude to throw your own party at which you solicit gifts (although I have of course reassured JD and my mother that I would put 'no gifts expected' on the invite since people were so generous for our wedding ... but it doesn't mean we won't get -any- gifts at all) and I need a friend to play host. That's right, I'd be willing to do all the cooking and preparations and even mail the invites, but I need a friend to offer to be involved. And it doesn't look like it's going to happen at all. I have studiously avoided buying any clothes or toys, on the theory that people like to buy cute little things and most people get enough of that stuff as presents. But used kids stuff is so cheap in City X, maybe I should just take $50 and stock up at goodwill or a consignment store and stop expecting friends who just flew all the way to our wedding (on a Sunday night, no less) and gave us such generous presents to throw another party in my honor. Thoughts?
Please do tell me if I'm being spoiled and self-centered - at the least you might help me avoid a confrontation with my mother. I don't think that my mother is genuinely embarrassed to throw a baby shower 3 months after a wedding, but maybe she is. And since I'm the first of our circle of close friends to have a baby, maybe it's absurd to think someone would step in and offer to help (and yes, I do have 2 bff - one is barren and the other is a gay man who probably hasn't been to too many baby showers. Oh, and my older sister is moving back to CA any day now so that clears her of any hint of responsibility).
And the funny and honest truth is that I've never even been to a baby shower, so maybe the expectations are much higher than I know about and that's why nobody wants to throw one. Did any of you have to ask a friend to throw a shower? Been to a shower thrown by the preggers girl herself? Been to a coed event in the first place? Think I'm a spoiled brat?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I kind of doubt I'm going to have shower for this pregnancy, given the timing of move, but I'm not going to get too broken up about it. I figure I've been avoiding the things like the plague, so why think about one for me? A shower might help with the stocking of up of things, and it might be a good time to catch up with friends, but maybe given that all of these weddings, including your own, were this summer, I could see where your mom might be plain tired out.
On the other hand, I'm not really sure there's anything wrong with throwing a shower yourself if you want one. In a very unconventional move, my husband co-organized a surprise wedding shower for me (along with a friend), which was really wonderful. So maybe your husband could host a co-ed baby shower for you. Unconventional, but why not?
Well, I think you deserve (and it's very reasonable of you to request, desire, and want one!) a baby shower. That is very sad....if I knew you and lived near you, I'd give you a baby shower!
When my husband and I got married, I was working for the principal from hell! She was so kind to make it to where NO ONE gave me a wedding shower - oh, they did give me a "really nice" $30 gift card to Walmart. They should've just not wasted their time or money!
We don't do baby showers in Britain, so I haven't a clue of the ettiquette involved. Why not throw a shower yourself? In a 'no need for presents, but please help me celebrate this special baby' way.
But I do feel, seeing how HARD you worked for this baby, that your parents should appreciate that and if, in the States, that means throwing a shower, then 'too tired' is hurtful to hear. I have no idea if your mother really means she is a bit too tired and busy to organise it all herself, what with the weddings, but would be happy to with your input, or if there's something else going on, but I do think you need to tell her exactly what you did expect (the quiet dinner, for example) and why it is so important to you. Mothers, alas, are not psychic and worse, are often completely clueless as to what's going on in their grown-up daughters' heads.
And that's my assvice for the day. Thank you and good-night.
You are not wrong to want a shower! That is completely reasonable. If your mom organized a small event like your bridal shower, I don't see how this is any work at all.
In any event, why not go with your NYC idea. Perhaps at a restaurant? You might also opt for having it after the baby arrives and then all your friends can meet her?
Please don't think anyone thinks you selfish or spoiled. Your feelings are your feelings...and they're reasonable.
I don't think you're wrong to want a shower either. Maybe you could do it in the park or something? I'd totally host one for you in Indiana, but somehow I doubt it would do you much good.
Is there a lot of overlap between the guest lists for these three weddings and those you'd invite to your shower?
If so, I can see how your mom might just feel like she can't ask people to attend a 4th event that involves gift giving in the span of a single summer.
However, I don't think that means you don't deserve or shouldn't have a shower. It's just shitty timing. Could your mom perhaps be the host you need for your NYC shower? And then after the baby is born and the summer of weddings is in the past, could you have a post-birth shower/meet the baby party at your mom's?
don't know how to advise you. In my community, we don't do baby showers, and generally don't buy things for babies before they're born. Nevertheless, don't you think the same people you'd invite to a baby shower would likely buy you a baby gift once your bundle of joy arrives?
People are most likely to buy you clothes, not toys, by the way, at least in my experience. So go out and buy toys. Or don't. Truth be told, you won't need much in the way of toys for a good long while.
Post a Comment