Saturday, July 4, 2009

New things

Yesterday I reminded JD to look in the laundry basket while packing ... and there was only one t-shirt of his left in the bin when I checked on his progress.
I reminded him to get his clean laundry off the rack ... and found 2 socks and his only pair of shorts still drying on the rack after he'd 'grabbed all his stuff'.
I reminded him to pack his chargers ...and only found one on the counter.
I reminded him to get his stuff out of the kitchen ... and found his believed Alaska Nalgene sitting on the counter tonight.

But of course it's too late to give him the Nalgene. My darling is home in NYC by now and I am all alone with a fusspot who woke up every hour yesterday night.

Trying, trying, trying to be a responsible single parent (and yes, there are dirty dishes in the sink as I type).

For the record, in the 6 weeks of JD's paternity leave I did not cook a single meal, go grocery shopping alone even once, or do any dishes. Or for that matter wash any pump parts [Total side note. One of the things I found most absurd about the anti-pumping article in the Atlantic was the discussion over fathers finding it gross. While the men discussed may be turned off, my guy took an ever-practical attitude: I pump, he cleans up. And we actually landed up with enough extra pump parts that I could pump up to 4 times a day and just pile all the parts in the sink for him to wash when he got home. It got to the point where he was a bit defensive that only he could really wash the parts well. One more thing I'll miss in the next year].

Yes, we've done this before. A lot. But never with an almost-7-month-old fusspot along for the ride. The one good piece of news today is that the fusspot is finally starting to notice the people smiling, waving and dancing at her in the computer. This evening we chatted online (skype and gmail chat) with my mother, my father, and a dear friend and tomorrow we have several other conversations planned. I really hope that she makes some connection between JD and the funny face in the computer.

And that she sleeps a bit more tonight.

Lots of things to blog about this week: meeting a blogger IRL (and she reveals my top secret location!), my gorgeous apartment, LLL in Europe, access to my exclusive storage closet (aka pumping at work), and a daycare 'meet and greet.' Fun times ahead, but tonight I just wish my husband was here.

3 comments:

kate said...

shit, shit, shit! sorry about that! er, at least I didn't post photos, right???

JD sounds like H- I cook, he cleans up (and also with with the constant, 'don't forget!' then the inevitable, 'oh, crap! I forgot!' patterns as well). Even though, actually (at least for the time being...) I'm a stay at home wife. You'd think that if I send him out to make the bacon, I could at least not make him clean up the pan when I'm done fryin' it up.

Anonymous said...

Wandered over here from Stirrup Queens' blogroll and just wanted to say hello! I was diagnosed with PCOS, and though we're not actively trying, I'm getting the lay of the land... trying to gather hope. :)

- Molly
http://roots-andwings.blogspot.com/

Io said...

heh! I saw Kate reveal your top secret location and was totally jealous that she got to meet you!