Thursday, July 16, 2009

Naughty

some people really ought to stay away from websites like k.a.yak.com and orb.itz.com.

Waiting for some tempeh to cook I started playing around with plane tickets ... and I just found out you can fly from my current location in Lalaland (aka someplace in the middle of Europe) to India for about $550 in the spring! One of my dearest friends is there, and I have been strategizing about getting a part-time job in order to splurge on a trip. When I priced tickets last spring they were closer to $1000 (and that's base NYC - best possible flight base in the States for cheap international destinations). This friend has spent years traveling the world with her 2 babies in tow and she is an awesome travel companion and a role model for breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing, baby food-making, sewing her own baby clothes and quilting ... all while traipsing the globe (thanks to our military).

In other news, the internets are awesome. Not only does the fabulous Kate think I'm cool (and there are very few people who can say that with a straight face), but Carrie spent an entire post answering my prying questions about embryo adoption (and everything she found out makes it sound like a really viable and exciting option).

And thank you everyone else who has been reading and commenting (hi Jenn!). I can't tell you how much it helps to have such support when I'm alone with a waking-every-2-hours-no-matter-what (adorable) fusspot.

3 comments:

Io said...

Oh man. I have been spending a lot of time on travel sites trying to figure out where I can go on the cheap. I wish Lalaland were a little cheaper for me - I want to be able to confirm Kate's pronouncement (no, I do not doubt your coolness, I am just jealous)

kate said...

Oh, I, too, have to keep myself away from travel sites. I have some required travel coming up this fall, and I just cannot afford to add another destination, even though I really, really want to (and I keep finding great deals, too!).

And yes, I absolutely, straight-facedly pronounce you "cool"!

jenn said...

I so wish I could travel! Being on unemployment in america has it's downside- the only time where you really can just get up & go- you don't get anywhere near enough to even pay your current bills- much less travel- phooey!

Oh- and hi! good luck with the fusspot- if we hadn't been so damn lucky the past two nights I would be right there with you!