Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New firsts

1. First time EIGHT women in a row have asked me "What does your husband do that brings you here to Lalaland?" Not even the slightest opening for me to reply that it is in fact my career that brings me here [And here I have conveniently put my little feminist rant into brackets so you can ignore it: THIS is why feminism does not equal choice for me. Because -your- choices influence expectations of me. And while the fusspot does not yet quite grasp the conversation, in four or five or six years she will. And she will understand that society expects her to choose between being a mother and having a career And society expects her to dutifully trail around after her hard-working husband (and don't even get me started on the absurd expectations on men - starting with the fact that they will single-handedly support their partners and families ...). And it will suck when she comes to that realization.]

2. First time I've ever been hit on while in the process of clearly packing up dirty breastpump parts. Whee! Ok, so I can count the number of people under 50 on one hand in my current research location, but still ... I had dirty breastpump parts in my hand and he still wanted to know what I was doing after work! Ok, maybe that's just creepy in retrospect.

3. And my first official baby playgroup experience was fine. I even think I may have made a new friend. We exchanged e-mails and talked about meeting up for a walk or playground-time some weekend - that counts, doesn't it? Of course, to get to that point I had to smile very sweetly and just ignore her comment on long-awaited babies* that "Yeah, I was worried about IF too. But sometimes you just have to wait and relax. And then everything works out fine." Yeah. And inject your stomach with drugs daily, but who am I to quibble about the details?

Updated to add #4. First time that the fusspot was sleeping when I arrived at daycare and I had to wake her. And thus, the first time that I saw my baby fast asleep unswaddled, sans pacifier, and on her stomach. Huh.

* And yes, she did apparently manage to naturally conceive a child in her mid-40s, but obviously not her first.

3 comments:

Ms. J said...

How much is Fusspot sleeping during the day? Is it possible that she still has her days and nights a bit off (time change, though I know it's been a while)?

Also, is the fact that she was found sleeping in the way you described leading you to try anything different at home for the night? (NOT hinting, just truly curious - I have no opinion or tips, having never had an infant to contend with!)

The Mama said...

I'm very jealous that Fusspot takes a pasi at all!

Loved the feminist rant and the being hit on with dirty breastpump parts. Very classy of him. ;-)

Glad you are making friends (and yes, she totally counts, regardless of comments).

Geohde said...

Oh my. You're working and up half the night?

You poor tired thing!

In awe that you manage to blog.

As for the career thing, >>>rant<<<<

I'll save you ten paragraphs about the fact that so many career paths are not the least family friendly and I am suffering as a result.

g