Thursday, July 9, 2009

Going to bed early tonight

Tomorrow is a BIG day around here in my little neighborhood. A big, exciting day. Tomorrow is garbage day!

Yes, I know. Allegedly the garbage is collected twice a week around here. But we have a little problem. It is illegal to put your trash out before 7 am (and I have a rather watchful, elderly landlord - although a true gentleman. He is definitely of a different generation. After we signed the lease he told me that he would have invited me over to tea in a previous year, but since his wife passed away and he's alone and JD is away, he didn't think it appropriate anymore. Very sad but charming) and the garbage truck drops by right around 7:01 am (or possibly a few minutes earlier but far be it from me to lob unsupported accusations).

Trash not allowed out before: 7 am
Collected: 7:01 am
Result: We have 3 weeks of garbage bags neatly stacked in the kitchen. Funny math, I know, since we've only been in this apartment for a week and a half. It seems that JD missed garbage collection at our temporary sublet and had to carry several full garbage bags from said apartment to our new place. A new, more mature type of "walk of shame." And despite being a cloth-diapering-recycling type family, the fusspot's daycare sends her home in a disposable everyday and ... it will be good to finally get rid of 3-week-old dirty diapers in the kitchen. I'll just put it this way: if we miss garbage collection again in the morning, I'm seriously considering moving the pile of bags to the closet.

My goal is to set alarm for 6:58 am, get up at 6:59 am, grab fussy baby (the alarm wakes her every time and there's no way I'm leaving her home alone, even if I am just walking to the end of the street) and run out the door with the trash at least every 2 weeks from now on (or at least till it gets a bit colder and things start to reek a little less ...). We aim high around here, don't we?

1 comment:

Io said...

Our trash used to be like that, except the putting out part was that I was lazy and would forget to put it out until I woke up at 7am and heard the truck out in the alley and had to run out half naked to put it out.
Happily, they now come in the afternoon.