Friday, July 10, 2009

New (sleep) plans

Was it really just a few weeks ago that I was posting about how I wished everyone would stop asking about the fusspot's sleep patterns and that I was just.fine. waking up during the night with her?

Well, I was. Until she was up every hour for 2 nights straight.

So now I solicit advice of all sorts.

To start with, we cosleep and I'm not (yet) interested in anything related to CIO (nor do I get how it works since her crib is directly next to the bed, even when she's not in bed with me). After extensive googling, I have identified the 2 best explanations for her behavior:

a. teething. Nothing to be done about that. I'm suspicious since she's allegedly been teething for 3 months now with no sign of anything. She did however chomp down on my breast twice this morning.

b. reverse feeding. Perhaps your baby just needs more snuggle time with you?, LLL says comfortingly ... and kellymom suggests that I should grin and bear it (which I was when she only woke up every 3 hours). I am worried this may be the real culprit because the fusspot has only been taking 2 bottles (8 oz total) during an 8 hour day at daycare. I am highly suspicious that they prop bottles, and this is why she's not eating there (as in, I've seen them prop bottles for the 3 month old but explicitly told them not to for the fusspot and also repeatedly asked them to try and feed her a 3rd bottle). So, my new action plan: offer boobies every single hour from when she gets home until bedtime. Screw letting her stay a bit hungry for solids, I want to get the high calorie stuff in her as much as possible in the evening. We're also starting solids at daycare next week (I innocently asked how I should pack them since I'm serving her defrosted stuff from the freezer and Ms.-American-Idol-wannabe gave me a rather puzzled look and said "We just make it here. It's not hard you know, you just put fruit or veggies in the blender." So we'll see how that goes next week - I do have to remember to try applesauce this weekend since it's a high-risk for an allergen and apparently on the menu for next week ...)

Any and all other advice on how to get a co-sleeping baby to sleep for more than 60 minutes at a time at night is much appreciated (and for the record, she does sleep plenty in total. Last night she was in bed at 8 pm and we didn't get up till 9 am except for our quick dash to move the trash at 6:59 am precisely).

4 comments:

Io said...

Sadly, the only thing I can think of is giving the kid whiskey in her milk. And that's probably not the best idea. In fact, I'm sure it's not a good idea.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could send you brilliant advice, but my only experience is observing my best friend (who did the cry-it-out method and it worked, though I told her I didn't know if I'd be able to do it myself) and my sister-in-law who would sometimes come downstairs with that hollow, wild-eyed look of someone who hasn't slept (she did the co-sleeping thing for a while, then the crib).

Anyway, I'm just sending you some good thoughts on getting through this stage!

- Molly
http://roots-andwings.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Try W.Sears's night time parenting book.

It happened to us between 3.5-4.5months, I also thought it's about reverse-cycling (he took 1 oz in 7 hours and just waited for mom to come back). It turned out it wasn't completely that. He slept his first 4hour stretch after his first tooth erupted. Then he was on 3.5-4 hr between 4.5-6.5 This week he is teething again plus struggling with cold so we are back to 2hr.

Several things we tried in the mean time: nurse him well, then wake him up and put him to sleep some other way first round. Try stomach sleeping+patting on the back (less wiggling during sleep). Try shoulder or stroller instead of nursing for the first round. Putting some distance between mom and the baby (i.e dad is in between) so that mom hears less baby; baby smells less of mom. Save the trials on a weekend day

Kristi said...

I feel for you, and can completely relate. We don't co-sleep, but my room is right next to the twins' room, and Luci is up constantly during the night. It's exhausting. Does she take a binky? That's all I've got right now, but I'm hoping more sleep is in your near future.