Saturday, July 18, 2009

Long weekend, subtitled: the weird things we do

The fusspot has developed a new skill, and I rather wish she hadn't. She can shriek. And while she mostly shrieks in joy, she did try it out a few times in combination with getting ready to nap. Which is to say Day 6 of the Great Sleep Regression (note the capital letters?) shows little sign of improvement.

I have also developed a new skill this weekend: squirting breastmilk. They say practice makes perfect, and I'd guess that I've gone from mediocre to distinguished in two days flat. Which is to say that the fusspot seems to have come down with conjun.ctivitis (Daycare: 2 colds, 1 eye infection; Fusspot: 0) and I haven't quite been able to figure out how to get her seen (combination of socialized health care, weekend, and American health insurance) so we're treating with breastmilk and monitoring on a half-hourly basis. When I shared this news with JD he claims never to have either suffered from or seen said illness, but when I noted that it looks like she has snot coming out of her eyes (the standard description 'gunk' also drawing a blank), he cheerfully told me he was off to "brunch with the guys" and we should "have fun today."

I also have to share a terrifying discovery I made yesterday as a sort of public announcement and warning. Had I discovered made the same discovery 7+ months ago (prior to the fusspot's safe arrival) I am certain I would have flipped. I was looking at my vitamins and just realized that the daily serving size of Rainbow prenatals (apparently the #1 brand in America) is six pills. Guess how many I've been taking? Moving on quickly before my brain has time to process that true confession ...

In other news, I found a gym in the neighborhood last week and am trying to motivate myself to actually go join in the morning (and practicing fairly nonpareil denial that if it takes me this long to join, I'll actually be going frequently). It's fairly cheap, although it also has no babysitting option. Which means that the fusspot will have to stay at daycare an extra 45 minutes on the 4 days a week that I put in a full workday (and oh the frustration of paying for a gym membership but not being able to go 3 days a week because I have no place to leave my constant companion). I am a big believer in the "it takes 9 months to put the weight on so it should take 9 months to take it off" but the fusspot will be 9 months (!) at rosh hashanah this year and I would ideally like to look not pregnant (don't worry, no star needed for miracles. my husband is a good thousand miles away ... ). I am also hoping it will help with my energy level (a la - if you can't bring the horse to water ...)

Tomorrow, no parenthesis.

3 comments:

jenn said...

hahaha! Squirting breastmilk as a new skill- hysterical!
I'm sorry the fusspot has conjunctivitis- it's never fun but I can only imagine a 7 month old must be miserable! You'll have to let us know if the breastmilk cure works!

SS said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I have my own addiction to parentheses- it tells a lot about how a person thinks and talks in real life- so we may have more in common than our NYC addresses (your former...). Good luck on the gym. I am finally getting back to making that more of a routine in this pregnancy. I had a hard time doing it when the baby was 7-10 months old this winter becasue he was constantly sick, I was always getting a few really bad nights of sleep every 2-3 weeks, and I just could barely exist, let alone exercise. it is the key to sensibly losing weight and having a decent amount of energy. i think you'll be rewarded for it, and be a happier mommy. Gosh, I sound straight from oprah, don't I? Anyway, sorry about the pink eye!!

Kristin said...

Good luck clearing up the conjunctivitis. And, good luck with your weight loss and going to the gym.

~ICLW