Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sun at last

I think our ten minutes of breastfeeding on the front steps this morning alone made all of the transit time yesterday worth it. I haven't been quite that bare-breasted outdoors since elementary school, and it felt great (yes, my mother lives in a condo with a lot of neighbors but it was midmorning on a weekday and there was no one in sight). And I really wanted to take advantage of the few minutes of soon because TS gets no natural Vitamin D in NYC. Did I mention that JD and I are going North for spring break (hello Canada!)?

I'll concede flying is not quite as easy as the train, but I am quite proud of myself for both managing to get four carry-ons to the gate check area without being charged (yes FOUR: that would be our duffle with clothes, laptop bag, backpack with diaper bag supplies, and food bag) plus a stroller and making it rather smoothly through security, etc. The great mistake? Barreling my way past the (older, male) flight attendant with TS's carseat and insisting I wanted it on the plane (nope, I didn't buy her a seat but it was an empty flight - thank you recession-times). It turns out that it's way too big and had to go next to the window which left me and my breasts basically hanging out into the aisle of a very small plane so that I could feed the baby ... breastfeeding in transit is such a weird experience.

Sorry if breasts on are my mind a lot tonight. Not only did I have a clogged duct last week and TS is hitting her 12-week growth spurt at exactly 11 weeks, but I have self-diagnosed a case of vaso.sp.asm. I'm really hoping it's just from awkward feeding positions when we're out and about, but I am greatly diasppointed that even having the fever break and losing the lump of last week has not ended the pain. And even at home down South with my entire family supporting my endeavor into breastfeeding, it's hard not to try to cover up the fact that I am in pain when I feed TS and directly afterwards.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I was a flight attendent for 4 years and although I know it isn't comfortable to sit next to a huge carseat in a small plane it is so worth it in terms of safety. No one ever believes me, but I saw several 'lap babies' injured during my time in the sky. It truly does happen. If you don't buy a ticket always, always ask if there are extra seats. Another tip: Make sure your carseat has a sticker stating it meets FAA requirements and when you board ask the flight attendent if he/she needs to confirm this because, by regulation, they should.

Every time I read of your travel adventures, I'm amazed! You really should write a book...you know, in your spare time!

Paranoid said...

Vasospasms suuuuuck. I get 'em, too. Two things that can help (other than keeping your living area insanely warm and jacking up your heating bills): (1) A rice sock (literally a sock filled with rice that you heat in the microwave and put on your breasts when they hurt), and (2) gerber sells gel-filled breast pads that are also meant to be put into the microwave. They're quite large, but they are vaguely breast-shaped and can theoretically be tucked into your bra. They cost around $13 here in NC, and I found mine in the breastfeeding supplies section at Target.

Not that you asked for advice, but I thought I'd at least share what helps me stop whimpering in pain.

Ariella said...

hehe I haven't flown and breast feed yet but I can just imagine. You mentioned on my blog that you have a hard time with the cover. I don't always use mine but when I do here is how I do it:
First I whip out the boob and stick him on it. Then I ask my hubby or friend to put the cover over my head and adjust it so I can see. This is the ONLY way it works for us.

Don't feel pressure to try it. The wonderful thing about BFing is that it is supported by law and you can do it ANYWHERE. I hate it when moms feel they should cover up.