Saturday, February 28, 2009

And now a parenting question

I never, ever thought I'd do it, but thus far I breastfeed my baby entirely on demand. We have yet to be apart for more than 3 hours at a time (note to self: maybe that explains why I can't get enough work done even with a babysitter ...). She also has no real sleep schedule - I just try to make sure that she's not awake for more than 2 (max 3) hours at a time. And she's a good eater and sleeper, so it seems to be working out.

Tonight she started crying when I was at my father's and he asked what was wrong. I told him she was probably poo'ing (yes, she screams. Lazy, lazy) but I'd try feeding her. And I must have said something about "Well, I feed her whenever she screams and I only feed her when she screams" because he looked very concerned and told me I was forming all the wrong associations if I only feed her when she cries ...

When she was little I could pick up her rooting cues and know she was hungry, but now she seems to switch rapidly to loud cries when she is upset about anything. I do remember years ago a friend telling me how glad she was that her babies cried when hungry "or she would never feed them" and I remember thinking the statement was a bit odd. But now I totally understand. Between keeping her clean, well-rested, warm enough, cool enough, stimulated but not over-stimulated, I just don't have the energy to focus on keeping track of how often she eats. I know she'll cry when hungry, and I know I can feel it if she goes a really long time without eating. But am I forming some awful association for her? All advice appreciated.

1 comment:

LadyofAvalon56 said...

No, it's not wrong. Not wrong at all. Babies (especially under four months old) cry because they need something, not "just because".

In our parents' day, babies were fed on a schedule - even breastfed babies. Now, scientists know that that's not the way to do it for breasfed babies. They cannot go every four hours and you must listen to *their* cues as breastmilk doesn't last as long as formula.

As well, they've proven that small babies that are picked up and "loved" when they cry do not cry as much as toddlers.

Look up Jack Newman's breastfeeding myths and tips online. This guy is the guru of boobs.

You're not making any emotional eating associations for TS either. She's a baby.

You're doing really well and don't let anyone's advice tell you otherwise. :)