I am frustrated, and I am going to whine about a dilemma which I am sure 99.5% of my readers will never have to face: finding a daycare in my little corner of Europe while living in the U.S. Yes, my long-time readers, I thought I had this all figured out. We did after all start our search in earnest a full 2 months before TS's arrival, giving us a full 8 months to find a spot. But the spot we were promised seems to have evaporated, and the agency we were working with simply does not get that my start date is non-negotiable and I need daycare 5 days a week, preferably full days.
So here it is 3 hours until March and I'm still looking ...
I know things will work out. We will find some solution. It is just too expensive for me to live in Europe and not work every day that I can, and I absolutely cannot work with TS there (she can't even come into my work building). And of course, the more I can work, the sooner she will be reunited with her father. So we will either land up with a temporary solution of a home daycare (I love them in the U.S., don't feel at all safe with the way they are run in this country) or I will lug the baby an hour to the big city to get her into a good daycare (that's an hour to drop her off, an hour back to work, an hour to go pick her up, an hour home - fun fun) and then we will wait until a daycare spot opens up in our little town ...
So here's what makes it so challenging:
1. People in Europe have long maternity leaves. As a result there are very few spots for babies under a year.
2. Even those couples where both parents work, it is quite standard to work a 4-day workweek until your child enters elementary school. Yes, even my male advisor when I was in Europe last spring took off Mondays to stay home with his 2-year-old son. TWO. And an adorable IVF baby, no less. As a result no daycare I've spoken to has been willing to offer me more than 3 days a week.
3. I want to live in the little town where I will be working. Since I will be alone with the baby, I really need to be close in case she gets sick, etc. And my schedule is flexible enough that I would have time to go breastfeed her at lunch anywhere in the little town. But because it's a little town, there are not so many daycares.
4. Commuting costs are really high in this country (I can't believe I'm even considering commuting!) I could find a decent daycare in the big city, but then I would have to add at least $300-400 per month for my commute to the little town. And if TS got sick at daycare I would be a full hour away and really worried about it. Let alone the fear of missing my train and daycare closing time.
5. Plain old fashioned stupidity. I have yet to get my residency permit, so I have yet to open a local bank account, so I can only wire money ... and the daycares have long enough waits that they just don't want to deal with these little complications. I also don't have a local address, which they flip about. Or proof of income in the local language. Or a full vaccine report for TS (because she hasn't got them all yet ... being 10 weeks and all). To give you a sense of the short-sighted stupidity, the national socialized hospital where I had my ultrasounds last spring refused to send the bill to my address in the U.S. because they weren't authorized to spend that much postage on a bill. Yup, not authorized. So, I had to have the bill mailed to a colleague (who then paid the bill) and forwarded it to me.
I know that the agency I wrote to meant to thank me for my response, but I think what they actually wrote "And thank you for your reaction" is a bit more accurate. Of course, if they actually knew my full reaction I doubt they'd have bothered to write at all.
And if you've made it this far, you deserve a real prize. More thoughts on flying tomorrow when TS and I are back in NYC.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
At the risk of sounding foolish, is there any possibility you could find an individual to watch your child in her house or in yours? In the olden days, there wasn't daycare for babies and we would find either a middle-aged woman who loved babies or a mother who was already home with her own child. Granted, it was important to check out the person very carefully and to have the ability to pop in at any time, but my experience was always positive.
I so do not miss European bureaucracy. I'm positve you will find a solution but I know it might be frustrating and painful. Ugh. I wish you the best!
Post a Comment