Saturday, February 14, 2009

so i have a few little obsessions

Bugs in my apartment freak me out. My long-time readers may recall many, many nightmares about the cockroach infestation in our mini-apartment. And in the apartment before that it was mice and fleas and bed bugs ... NYC is so much fun.

I'll admit, our apartment is not exactly a model of cleanliness. I am pretty busy and happy to let a few dust bunnies here and there slid. I'll freely admit that we leave the dishes in the sink overnight at least once a week. We do do all our own laundry, including cloth diapers and JD washes and irons all his work shirts (apparently this is unheard of in his workplace in fancy-pants NYC, but I find it totally normal and now that we can coordinate a long nursing session with his hour-long ironing session it gives us a very nice family time on Sunday evenings), but other than that we don't do so much cleaning on a weekly basis. Several weeks ago I wrote "I love JD" in the dust on a bookshelf in the hall and both JD and I would crack up as we walked past it for days on end. In short, cleaning is just not a huge priority around here.

Until I am threatened with a bug infestation. And then the cleaning demon comes out and I become completely and totally obsessed, and also infuriated that -everyone- around does not share my passion for scrubbing out-of-the-way corners or bleaching the bathtub.

In this case, the culprit happens to be a hole in JD's sweater. A hole most likely left by a moth. And apparently JD had two other sweaters with holes in them, which he just now told me. I know it doesn't make sense - we have no basement or attic storage, no 'out of the way closets,' no carpets, and not a single actual bug sighting in our new apartment ... but the whole thing has thrown me into an utter PANIC.

The idea of my laziness/laxness/lack of interest in clothing resulting in the destruction of three expensive wool sweaters makes me feel incredibly guilty (who knew moths breed in dust? or that JD only owns six sweaters?) and the idea that teeny, tiny miniscule moth larvae could at this moment be eating their way through my beloved clothes gives me the creeps.

So why did JD choose tonight to do our taxes??? Can't he see that I desperately need him to help disassemble the shelving in our closet and scrub the corners (also recommended by Drs. Google - I personally have never dealt with this issue before)? And why doesn't this stuff bother him? They were after all his sweaters.

Oh yes, and we have a visitor arriving tomorrow. Not that I'm expecting her to understand the current mania chez moi.

No comments: