I really wish we could name the baby after one of my grandmothers or great-grandmothers, but they all had very dated (and Yiddush) names. JD's family doesn't reuse names, so that doesn't help much. And then of course we need a middle name too ...
And although I still feel great and it's really incroyable to think that we might have a real baby by the end of the week, I guess I am kind-of showing. Here's the belly at 38 weeks, 1 day (i.e. earlier today, in the freezing cold). The craziest thing is that I am only 3 lbs above my pre-TTC weight from last year. But I'm assured that there's at least 7 lbs of baby in there and apparently plenty of pading:
Unfortunately JD cropped my new, cute slouchy gray suede boots out of the photo.Ok, so for the record, now that I am definitely at 38 weeks and the clock is ticking loudly towards pitocin here's what we've been up to:
- Acupuncture (twice a week)
- Red leaf raspberry tea
- Foot massages
- Um, that (really awkward) thing you do with your partner that's supposed to help
- Primrose oil (although not as a suppository because it interferes with #4 and just sounds gross)
- No more prenatals (never heard of this but I'll clearly try anything)
- Long walks and stairs
- Yummy spicy Indian food
And yes, I know this qualifies me as completely obsessive. But given that basically anyone at any of my seven medical appointments this week could make the call to send me straight to the hospital (ok, half of those appointments are in the hospital so they'd just have to send me across the hall) for an induction or C-Section, I don't see the point of dragging this out any longer. Any other suggestions?
7 comments:
First of all: you look gorgeous. You make pregnancy look beautiful. LOVE the grey sweater. LOVE it!
Second, I don't blame you for being obsessive. I'm only 35 weeks and the doc said to me "oh, if you went into labour now, we wouldn't stop you..." and it's soooooooo hard not to, uh, encourage labour along.
I don't have any suggestions about how to help this along except, perhaps, walking. I've been told by midwives, OBs and friends that walking can start labour...as can climbing stairs.
You look GOOD!
Red leaf raspberry tea, that's good too and it works as does long walks and stairs, the thing you do with ones partner did nothing but give me back ache!
Rachel, thanks for the comment. I shouldn't whine about doctor's appointments when I know you have twice as many as I do, right now.
I feel like I'm following in your footsteps with this pregnancy, so keep up the positive attitude and stuff. You're an inspiration!
Okay, I hate to be known as the reader who comments with the suggestions that are TMI but the body does make its own natural oxytocin when the nipples are stimulated, as with breastfeeding. That is why moms feel cramping in the uterus after birth when they are breastfeeding as the natural process of oxytocin being released into the bloodstream is causing the uterus to contract back down to its prepregnancy size. This can be used to your advantange and has been used for centuries by midwives to encourage a stalled labor or strengen weak contractions. I looked and there are many web pages with good and safe info and techniques about doing this safely. Good luck!
I have no advice to offer but I would like to say that you most certainly DO look pregnant! I'm sure you feel pregnant, too :)
I now check your blog obsessively for any news. Many happy thoughts and best wishes; she'll be here soon!
The name thing, hmmmm . . . have you at least been able to figure out what you DON'T want to name the baby? Maybe eliminating those (by joint agreement) will help spark something?
I second Ms J. Both of you list all the names you really really HATE and will not use under any circumstance. If nothing else, it'll be fun and pass the time while you wait for the baby to turn up.
Your bump looks splendid.
Post a Comment