Friday, November 7, 2008

weird

It is becoming increasingly apparent that other people's bodies gain or lose weight by total calories in and total calories out. My body seems to exclusively count carbs. I am definitely still eating carbs, but no more than 3 servings at a meal and no more than 1 serving per snack. Which is to say that I lost another 6 lbs this week.

Maximum weight gain this pregnancy: 30 lbs.
Current weight gain: 19 lbs.

I am so relieved that I am monitoring my blood sugar and doing growth scans at this point. Thus far the baby continues to grow normally (and on track to be an exactly average-sized American baby). And I guess I really do look a bit small at this point because at 2 different social events in the past 2 days people were a bit incredulous that I was due in mid-December.

Next growth scan 10 days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is odd. Just glad that you and the baby are doing so well.

Melissia said...

Diabetics are very sensitive to the effects of carbs and I wonder if you aren't getting enough. That would explain the hunger, the feeling sick and weak and the weight loss. Perhaps you need to get some really specific numbers from your Endo about how many servings he wants you to have a day and actually measure them out. My guess is that you are inadvertently shortchanging yourself. Also perhaps you need to eat every couple of hours, just a small amount instead of the traditional 3 meals in order to keep a more constant level of carbs in you. I imagine it is impossible with your schedule with school and work, but it may improve the weakness. I happen to be a diabetic myself and this really helped me, especially in the last weeks of my 4 pregnancies when the babies were gaining so much weight themselves. I hope you feel better.

Melissia said...

I found this website that might be helpful. I have to admit, I would be had pressed to eat 200 to 250 carbs a day. I usually manage around 50, but I am not trying to grow a baby! Another suggestion is to dip your urine for ketones another sure indication that your body is burning protein for fuel and you aren't getting enough carbs on a day to day basis. You can buy them without a prescription at any pharmacy, just ask. Here is the address http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/results.php?storyarticle=88

Io said...

That is weird, but as long as the kid is doing ok...