Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Giving my husband the benefit of doubt

Yesterday night JD told me I 'really need to relax more.' It's possible that he was talking about my mini-temper tantrum about something he forgot to do in the apartment ... but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. To be precise, I took his admonishment as a suggestion to take the morning off from work and go shopping. And not for a shower curtain or mop or anything particularly practical at all. Of course, I do realize that we have some large expenses coming up in the next few weeks and I'm really not supposed to be spending money ... so instead I gathered together a whole stack of gift cards (most with under $10 left on them) and store credits and such and went to midtown. I love, love, love spending 'play money.' Even the $3 Starbucks gift card was well spent this morning. Sometimes a girl just needs to indulge.

And in other financial news, despite the raised eyebrows and strongly disapproving looks at our pediatrician meet and greet yesterday, I actually asked the cost of a well-visit and PKU testing. And it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Well-visits seem to run around $200, the PKU lab work is only around $20 (although no one's sure how many tests that covers, poor baby may get heel-stuck several times to get all the testing done) and another $50 for the pediatrician to adminster (which is apparently quite standard practice in NYC - so much for the hospitals being required to offer it). Plus, the Hep B vaccine will be covered by a program for uninsured children so that might just be free. Even if we land up needing the maximum number of visits during our insurance gap, we're looking at something like $500-$600 total, which is frustrating and annoying but also feasible.

Also entertaining at the meet and greet was watching all the other women guess exactly which sitcom the very attractive looking expectant father stars in. Me? Well, we don't own a TV so I had no idea he was a B-circuit actor. But I certainly appreciated his looks.

1 comment:

Io said...

I'm glad you've got the PKU testing sort of figured out.
And man oh man do I love gift cards. Glad you had a nice day with yours!