Monday, November 17, 2008

This whole 'full term' thing

I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the idea of being 'full term' (don't worry, not there yet). I noticed over the weekend when I kept messing up how far along I am. Sometimes it's wishful thinking and I'm also 37 weeks, sometimes I'm back at the beginning of the third trimester. It's so weird to think that as of the weekend after Thanksgiving I will be 'full term' and I should be resting for labor and prepared at any moment to have a baby. And yet, I might still have 5 weeks to go (and that with an induction at 41 weeks, rather than waiting until 42 weeks). And even though I know the chance of a my NST's uncovering an emergency which would lead to an immediate delivery are very slim, it's a bit terrifying to be in the hospital on the same floor as L and D every week at 9 am ...

The childbirth class instructor spent a lot of time reminding us to rest and not go into labor exhausted. But I've never in my life tried to spend 4-5 weeks relaxing and taking it easy. How do you find a balance? And deal with the persistent questions (luckily mostly from family, but really how many times can my mother ask if I'd had any signs of labor? And this from a woman who claims she never had a braxton hicks contraction ...).

And just to totally play with my composure, yesterday I accidentally put on a non-maternity shirt and wore it out and about all day. My belly seems to be shrinking even as the baby continues to grow apace.

3 comments:

LadyofAvalon56 said...

It does seem so surreal as it gets closer, doesn't it?

I would suggest that perhaps you should not take on any "new projects" in those last 5-6 weeks, but other than that, go about your daily life as usual. I mean, how good can it be to sit still and *wait* for labour? You'd drive yourself crazy! Talk about sitting on shpilkas!

My Mom's the same way. She had never heard of Braxton Hicks contracts and insists they're nonsense. She's insisting I'm nuts not to have an epidural and just "enjoy the ride". I've just given up on trying to make her see it my way.

I wore a pair of non-maternity yoga pants yesterday and they fit just fine. Scared me to death.

Just try to have fun these last few weeks and enjoy your time with JD. Everything else is secondary. :)

Io said...

I don't know man, I think I could totally R&R for a month or so...but then I am lazy.
Wow, I can't believe how close you're getting!

Liza said...

You're almost there - I am so unbelievably excited for you!

Oh, and I gave you an award: http://equationofhope.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-got-award-woot.html