To start, the easy/casual bagels, cream cheese, and lox.
Cold wonton wrappers with curried eggs and hot wonton wrappers with artichokes
Very healthy blueberries
Less healthy cabbage salad with toasted almonds (too much sugar in the dressing I made)
Then some OJ and apple cider and prosecco. Plus chocolate liquor and coffee. All off limits to the host, obviously.
Then she starts to bake.
First, very healthy low carb blueberry muffins.
And then a few more thing she's craving. And suddenly you have a table that looks like this:
Chocolate cheesecake
Vanilla cupcakes with sugar frosting (far, far more than the total number of guests)
Carrot cupcakes brought by a friend at her request
Chocolate chip pumpkin bread (okay, three)
Rum cake (in an octopus mold - I won't claim maturity on this one, but at least I didn't try to swirl the cake batter with neon food coloring like last time. JD was most unimpressed with the last presentation, but I love Willi.ams Son.oma clearance holiday specials ...).
Don't worry, I only had 2 bites of sugary desserts today, but I packed away a whole tupperware of treats in the freezer for Jan. 1 ....
My neighbor who showed up with her 2 kids called later in the evening to ask me a question and commented on how tired I must be after the cooking and cleaning. But you know the best part about not having a baby yet? JD and I took a blissful two hour nap after the guests had left (more than 5 hours after the first guest arrived). And that is another perk of throwing your own baby shower at your very own apartment.
2 comments:
Wow - food looks fantastic.
I don't know if this is "right" for you, but the diabetic clinic that I attend here in Toronto told me that "falling off the wagon" once in a while is perfectly okay.
In fact, they told me to go ahead and eat everything I wanted at my baby shower (which is next Saturday) just as long as I get back on track right afterwards.
Just something to think about.
I'll be over in January to help you with that frozen food...
Post a Comment